Ally McCoist: Putting Rangers in second tier would benefit other clubs

Ally McCoist has repeated his call for Rangers to be accelerated through the Scottish league setup, saying it could be to the "benefit" of financially-stricken clubs.

The Ibrox boss has joined chief executive Charles Green this week in calling for the club to leapfrog the majority of current Second Division sides, if league reconstruction goes ahead, and be placed in the second level under the proposed 12-12-18 setup.

Both feel that, should the club win this season's Third Division ahead of change, they would not be promoted as they would be joined in the third tier by every other side in the bottom league.

McCoist also believes awarding his side a double promotion could put more money in the pockets of opposition clubs.

"Scottish football is in a sorry state right now so we have to do whatâ??s best for the benefit of the game," he is quoted as saying on Rangers' official website.

"Dunfermline are clearly in trouble just now, Hearts have troubles too and we have obviously had our well-documented problems so we must do something that is mutually beneficial to Scottish football.

"If moving us into the second 12 means that there will be such a benefit then surely it has to happen."

McCoist has also referenced what he believes is a precedent set by Stranraer in the 1993/94 season.

The Scottish leagues were to be expanded to four divisions in the following season, with the Blues winning the third tier championship.

Stranraer, as champions, moved up one level to the new second tier, with five clubs being relegated as the First Division contracted from 12 teams to 10.

"I really feel that the precedent set by the Stranraer situation in 1994 should be followed," he said.

"We are in a position where we are close to winning the championship and hopefully promotion.

"In our eyes, if 12-12-18 is implemented and we are in the 18 then I donâ??t see us getting promotion.

"The argument would be that we would in the third tier but I donâ??t buy that because every other team in the league would be getting promotion with us.

"I donâ??t think that is fair â?? especially when a precedent has been set. Stranraer won the bottom tier in 1994 and were promoted two divisions due to reconstruction."

In an article on Rangers' website it is also said: "...Article 85 of the Scottish Football Leagueâ??s Constitution states clearly that in the event of the formation of a new league body the champions of each division should be promoted."

Rule 85 states in full: "It shall not be competent to resolve to wind up the League with the purpose or effect of then re-forming a National Association Football League within three years of the date of the resolution to wind up which shall exclude any club formerly in membership of the League or which shall exclude a club formerly in membership of the League from being promoted to a higher division of such League where it had a legitimate expectation of such promotion when a member of the League, unless such club shall consent in writing to such exclusion; and in the event of such a resolution being passed and such circumstances arising within the said three year period such resolution shall be null and void and treated as such."

http://sport.stv.tv/football/218458-ally-mccoist-putting-rangers-in-second-tier-would-benefit-other-clubs/

There is no doubt, we have to gain promotion. But so does the Div 2 winners side and (if successful) the play off winners.

But is anyone of the opinion that we shouldnt be allowed to leapfrog some Div 2 teams? If I was them then id certainly find that unfair on the Div 2 sides who have to go into the 18 who didnt finish bottom. Thats why it has to be laid out at the start of the season so everyone knows what they are playing for. Either that they have to restructure it 12-20-10 for one season.

Green and Ally have taken the stance of 'We should be fast tracked into the 2nd tier' instead of questioning the merits of changing the goalposts three quarters way through a season.

They are banging on about where we want to be rather than pointing out the illegality of a league reconstruction at this time.

The whole scenario has evolved because of RFC.

Seems we have a couple of muppets firing blanks in our name.

The rest of Scottish football is running down dead end alleys trying to see how they can save the game and Rangers are looking to take advantage.

F**kin' nightmare.

If the governing bodies want to move to a 12-12-18 system then fair enough but it should not come in halfway through a season. It's just lunacy. This could only happen in Scotland. Other football associations must be looking at what's went on here for the past 18 months and cringe, or laugh, I'm not sure which.

If the governing bodies want to move to a 12-12-18 system then fair enough but it should not come in halfway through a season. It's just lunacy. This could only happen in Scotland. Other football associations must be looking at what's went on here for the past 18 months and cringe, or laugh, I'm not sure which.

This for me is the main reason it is wrong,it contravenes an existing rule which should render it illegal?.

Obviously, 12-12-18 with us in the 18 would kill the "colt team" stuff in its tracks. Not that those in the 18s will care, at least for one more season.

If the 12-12-18 go through and we are in the 18s, I don't know whether I would welcome the notion of seeing Bears go to the same grounds they visited this season.

BTW, anyone saved the SFL rules and guidelines ere they are being taken off and/or being rewritten? Those guidelines and rules saying that they cannot scrap the SFL without having regular promotion / relegation / non-relegation (Art. 85 or whatnot)?

Halfway through a season would at least gave them time to think. With 6 weeks to go is just taking the piss. It has to be done at the start of a season so everyone knows what they are playing for.

The only reason we, the fans, are still trying to second guess what the script will be for next season is because of the on going legal battles.

It's obvious our legal team are at war with the SPL/SFL over whether or not we are rightfully promoted with the usual suspects arguing against it.