Great post by John Gow

What a superb article by John outlining the inconsistencies in this law and in the logic of the Celtic minded lawyers etc. It is not surprising this is where we are at but we need to ram this message home again and again. This is all about equality but there are people in this country in positions of power who are abusing their powers to ensure there is no equality for us.

Having said that, this is a dreadful law that needs to be repealed as a matter of principle on the grounds of free speech, not simply because it is now being applied to them.

The stench of hypocrisy is overwhelming in this little country of ours where it is okay to be anti English but not be pro the union. This is indeed a political fight.

Police are not prepared to allow large groups of people to take over streets

I WRITE in response to your article "Top QC Says Response to March Like a 'Police State'" (The Herald, March 18).

Strathclyde Police did have a large number of officers on duty but this was to police a number of events in the city and not specifically for this incident.

Comment has been made with regard to the use of the police helicopter. The force helicopter is available daily for use as part of the comprehensive policing response communities across the Strathclyde Police area have become accustomed to. It is deployed to deal with a wide range of matters including demonstrations, parades, significant public order events, missing people, vehicle pursuits and other incidents.

It is the duty of the police to facilitate peaceful protest, which we do regularly. On Saturday we had other groups protesting in the city centre and these events were peaceful.

In policing on behalf of the public, we are not prepared to allow large groups of people to take over streets. This serves only to disrupt residents and endanger the safety of protesters and road users. We are not prepared to place officers at increased risk of injury while trying to keep people safe.

We are reviewing a significant amount of CCTV footage captured on the day.

This footage will be made available to the courts in order that they can deal appropriately with the 13 people arrested.

Unfortunately, we are prevented from releasing the full footage into the public domain due to ongoing legal proceedings. However, we will, in time, make it all public.

I believe our officers acted professionally and proportionately. Any complaint we receive with be thoroughly investigated.

Bernard Higgins,

Assistant Chief Constable,

Police Headquarters,

173 Pitt Street,

Glasgow.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/letters/police-are-not-prepared-to-allow-large-groups-of-people-to-take-over-streets.20583685

On Saturday we had other groups protesting in the city centre and these events were peaceful.

I can see the complaints flowing now....it was clearly victimisation of the Ceptic support - The Police never went in heavy handed to the other events, only against the poor, put upon Ceptic support. (the fact that the other events all passed by without incident or requirement for heavy Police presence is irrelevant...)

well, it depends how I look at them.

If I wear my glasses from Specsavers, in the top picture I see a well behaved, orderly and respectful protest march being held by men, women and children of all ages to protest the unjust and illegal treatment being meted out to their football club.

In the bottom picture I see the police being forced to prevent a group of masked and hooded thugs from causing public order offenses and embarking on an illegal march, whose sole purpose was to provoke the police.

But, with my Super Special Scottish Media glasses on, in the top picture I see a vicious gang of neo-fascist, sectarian, thugs rampaging through a Glasgow park. In the bottom picture I see the victimisation, harassment and brutality being inflicted upon a bunch of morally righteous young lads, who never cause any trouble and whose every waking hour is devoted to the betterment of mankind.

well, it depends how I look at them.

If I wear my glasses from Specsavers, in the top picture I see a well behaved, orderly and respectful protest march being held by men, women and children of all ages to protest the unjust and illegal treatment being meted out to their football club.

In the bottom picture I see the police being forced to prevent a group of masked and hooded thugs from causing public order offenses and embarking on an illegal march, whose sole purpose was to provoke the police.

But, with my Super Special Scottish Media glasses on, in the top picture I see a vicious gang of neo-fascist, sectarian, thugs rampaging through a Glasgow park. In the bottom picture I see the victimisation, harassment and brutality being inflicted upon a bunch of morally righteous young lads, who never cause any trouble and whose every waking hour is devoted to the betterment of mankind.

Only in Scotland could such an inverted, slued perception be allowed to gain any legitimacy.