Ally McCoist warns young Rangers players they must improve

I don't see this as putting them down. Yesterday, all of the experience was in the rear guard.

Hutton, Faure, Crawford, Aird, McKay and Hemmings gave us on average an U21 offensive lineup and most of the reason for the team being booed off the park was because those youngsters didn't even look like scoring. They'll know that and Ally will have had a job to do trying to get their chins up after the game while explaining to them that the standards required weren't met.

I don't think Ally will have been too hard on them and I don't see his comments here as being over-critical either.

If there's something we can possibly all agree on, it's that Ally's made it pretty clear he doesn't believe we can rely too heavily on the youngsters. Yesterday he had no choice but to do just that.

They failed to deliver and were booed off the park. When he's asked for reasons do you expect him just to sidestep the issue?

When was the last time McCoist came out & singled out his "experienced" players for letting the side down????

His statement is giving the impression that the defence did well - another clean sheet.....but don't forget that it was Fraser Aird maintaining his position at the back post that ensured that clean sheet!!!!

When was the last time McCoist came out & singled out his "experienced" players for letting the side down????

His statement is giving the impression that the defence did well - another clean sheet.....but don't forget that it was Fraser Aird maintaining his position at the back post that ensured that clean sheet!!!!

Where did he specifically say that the young players let the side down?

Your picking bones here if your highlighting a winger doing his defensive job at the back post for a set-piece is somehow an indication that the defence didn't do well.

Where did he specifically say that the young players let the side down?

Your picking bones here if your highlighting a winger doing his defensive job at the back post for a set-piece is somehow an indication that the defence didn't do well.

McCoist statement in the original post was specifically aimed at the youngsters in the team - that they need to improve & progress. He also highlights that we kept a clean sheet (insinuating that the defence did well) - something that is a direct result of one of the youngsters doing his job effectively....something that many of the "old heads" have failed to do on many occasions.

The real problem at the moment is that NONE of the team are performing to the standard required (or even coming close). I just thing that highlighting the youngsters is unfair on them considering the experienced players haven't exactly been a shining example.

Poor man management. He really should be saying these players need to get poorer because some of our young players have good technical ability but arent getting show it in this team. Instead they are playing in a system which is a bit of guess work with high balls.

And players are not the same. Some will react in a good way to a bollocking, some will react in a bad way to his public statement, some need an arm round the shoulder to improve. And Ally is the one who has to get them to improve on the training ground. Between the 3 of them (Ally, Durrant, McDowall) I dont see 1 tactician there.

McCoist statement in the original post was specifically aimed at the youngsters in the team - that they need to improve & progress. He also highlights that we kept a clean sheet (insinuating that the defence did well) - something that is a direct result of one of the youngsters doing his job effectively....something that many of the "old heads" have failed to do on many occasions.

The real problem at the moment is that NONE of the team are performing to the standard required (or even coming close). I just thing that highlighting the youngsters is unfair on them considering the experienced players haven't exactly been a shining example.

The defence kept another clean sheet. That's a positive. He hasn't hid from the fact that the defence has been poor throughout the season. He's criticised them plenty of times and rightly so. He's taken steps to rectify it and so far it's working. It's not a permanent solution, but if the defence can maintain some sort of level of stability till the end of the season then a more long term solution can be looked at.

Like I said before I don't read his comments as criticising the youngsters. In this one instance, all the players to blame for us being completely ineffective going forward happened to be youngsters. He's ponting out that he was left with little option on that one. He says they need to continue to progress and that they need to produce more than they did yesterday. What's wrong with that?