Ally McCoist warns young Rangers players they must improve

Rangers boss Ally McCoist has warned his young players they must improve following jeers from disgruntled fans at Ibrox on Saturday.

McCoist's side were booed off after being held to a goalless draw by Stirling, affirming Rangers' recent poor form that has seen them win only two of their last five games.

And the manager has warned the young players that they must produce more to meet the demands of the Ibrox fans.

"I've explained to them - that's what it's like being at Rangers," McCoist said. "You just have to find something from somewhere.

"The younger lads, Robbie (Crawford), wee Barrie McKay, Airdy (Fraser Aird), Kyle Hutton, Kane Hemmings and boys like that, for a first season, generally speaking, they have played a lot more games than they would have before.

"They have done okay but they need to progress, they need to keep coming along.

"That was a disappointing performance and result but - do you know something? - it's a point, a hard-earned point which will hopefully help us over the line."

McCoist added: "The people in the stands, we all share their frustration. I can totally understand their frustration and I can't ask for anything more from the stands than they are giving us in terms of support.

"I know more than anybody at this football club what it's like to play here and the level of expectancy.

"That will not change, although there is absolutely no doubt that the team has changed more dramatically in 12 months than it has done in its entire history.

"But the expectancy is still very, very high and I understand that."

Midfielder Crawford, understanding fans' frustration, said: "I totally understand their frustration and we all feel it as well.

"It hurts us just as much and the fans have the right to voice their opinion. They have stuck by us before and we need to do better for them.

"There was a lot of youth and not much experience there but we have all come through the youths together so we should know each other's game and we expect to play better than we did."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11788/8594923/Ally-McCoist-warns-young-Rangers-players-they-must-improve

:eek2::eek2:

the unfortunate truth is that the majority of these young players won't be with us in the long run. They won't be capable of the standards required for where we want to be. The sooner everyone understands this the better for all concerned

McCoist must be watching a different team - it's grossly unfair of him (IMHO) to lay the blame at the feet of the younger players!!!

Cribari, Shiels, Black, Argy, Sandaza, Kyle - how many of them have been shining lights this season??? McCulloch & Little had bagged a sackful of goals between them, but their general play hasn't exactly been electrifying at times. Alexander has been OK, but not outstanding.

The vast majority of excitement this season has come form the likes of McKay, Temps & McLeod - The younger players!!! Encourage them, not put them down!!!

The experienced players are poor. We knew that.

The disappointing thing for me is few of the youngsters look capable of making the step up too. Guys like Hutton seem to have gone backwards. From being able to play well in the SPL to struggling in the bottom division. :(

The experienced players are poor. We knew that.

The disappointing thing for me is few of the youngsters look capable of making the step up too. Guys like Hutton seem to have gone backwards. From being able to play well in the SPL to struggling in the bottom division. :(

There could be the possibility that they are unable to cope with having to carry the "experienced" players......

There could be the possibility that they are unable to cope with having to carry the "experienced" players......

Well they weren't carrying anyone against stirling and they looked less than mediocre. It's not their fault and I have nothing but sympathy for them, but as a few posts have mentioned, they really don't look like long term Rangers. The ones that did left in the summer along with the rest of the team.

McCoist must be watching a different team - it's grossly unfair of him (IMHO) to lay the blame at the feet of the younger players!!!

Cribari, Shiels, Black, Argy, Sandaza, Kyle - how many of them have been shining lights this season??? McCulloch & Little had bagged a sackful of goals between them, but their general play hasn't exactly been electrifying at times. Alexander has been OK, but not outstanding.

The vast majority of excitement this season has come form the likes of McKay, Temps & McLeod - The younger players!!! Encourage them, not put them down!!!

I don't see this as putting them down. Yesterday, all of the experience was in the rear guard.

Hutton, Faure, Crawford, Aird, McKay and Hemmings gave us on average an U21 offensive lineup and most of the reason for the team being booed off the park was because those youngsters didn't even look like scoring. They'll know that and Ally will have had a job to do trying to get their chins up after the game while explaining to them that the standards required weren't met.

I don't think Ally will have been too hard on them and I don't see his comments here as being over-critical either.

If there's something we can possibly all agree on, it's that Ally's made it pretty clear he doesn't believe we can rely too heavily on the youngsters. Yesterday he had no choice but to do just that.

They failed to deliver and were booed off the park. When he's asked for reasons do you expect him just to sidestep the issue?

McKay & McLeod have got passmarks. Nothing more. Will they cut it higher divisions ? that remains to be seen.