Charles Green STV

Rangers chief executive Charles Green agreed to receive a £25,000 payment from Craig Whyteâ??s business partner during the early stages of his buyout of the club.

The transaction was made from Aidan Earley to Mr Greenâ??s personal bank account, as the Sevco consortium moved into poll position in the bidding process.

STV has seen evidence that appears to suggest the £25,000 was sent to Mr Greenâ??s account on May 11, 2012.

In an interview with STV News, Mr Green stated the cheque, which was to be used to pay legal fees for Field Fisher Waterhouse, bounced and he ended up paying the lawyers himself.

The exchange makes up part of the legal case Mr Whyte is launching against Mr Green and his group, claiming that they were acting as a "front" for him during the £5.5m deal for the clubâ??s assets last summer.

STV has also obtained a recorded conversation between Mr Green and Mr Whyte, which is said to have taken place on May 9 last year, in which the former Sheffield United chief executive said: "I f*****g, I need money off you (Craig Whyte)" to cover the Field Fisher Waterhouse bill.

On Tuesday, STV contacted Rangers for comment in relation to the recorded conversation, but at the time of publication they had not responded.

The payment is believed to relate to the setting up of the off-the-shelf company, Sevco 5088 Limited, which was the vehicle that Mr Whyte claims he and Mr Green were using to takeover Rangers. Sevco 5088 was identified by administrators Duff and Phelps days later as being the newco that would purchase the clubâ??s assets in the event of the failure of a company voluntary arrangement (CVA).

Mr Green told STV: "My Whyte didn't pay money into my bank account. £25,000 was put into my bank account. For legal costs. And three days later, the cheque bounced."

Mr Green stated that the cheque was from New Malden, the area of Surrey where Mr Earley is based. Mr Green stated it was "to cover the legal expenses that Aiden Earley and Mr Whyte had incurred in starting up the process with Field Fisher Waterhouse, who refused to do any further work without money up front."

Documentation seen by STV suggest that £25,000 was paid out of a business account associated with Mr Earley on May 15, six days after his meeting with Mr Green and Mr Whyte.

In the audio recording of the meeting, Mr Green is heard saying to Mr Whyte: "Well, the next step is, we've got to f*****g give them (Field Fisher Waterhouse) some money."

He is also heard saying that he will tell the legal firm "Oh, Craig's gone, Craig's gone" in relation to the £25,000 payment.

Mr Green adds: "I f*****g, I need money off you [Craig Whyte]." Mr Whyte is heard responding: "Yeah, if you, if you give me your details I'll cover whatever youâ??ve got to pay out. It's not a problem."

The recording shows that Mr Green responded: "What I'm saying is, there's no f*****g, there'll be no trace into my f*****g bank account. But I'll f*****g, but I'll do it now, I'll write it out now. I'll give them a cheque for £25,000 from me." He adds: "I'm the f*****g director of the company. I'm their client, I'll give them twenty-five grand."

Mr Whyte has instructed a London QC to prepare a writ to be served on the current Rangers regime, claiming they have carried out "unjust enrichment" through "deception". In a letter warning of legal action sent to Rangers, Mr Green and finance director Imran Ahmad last December, Mr Whyte alleges that the group were brought into the Rangers buyout process to act as a "front" for him.

He claims to have evidence that backs up his statements, while last week Mr Green stated in an interview with the Scottish Sun on Sunday that he and Mr Ahmad had told Mr Whyte "what he wanted to hear" because they wanted to "keep him sweet to prise the club away from him".

Mr Green told STV that he has spoken to Rangersâ?? lawyers and is planning on submitting a report to Police Scotland in relation to the conduct of Mr Whyte, who purchased Sir David Murrayâ??s 85% stake for £1 in May 2011.

The following is a direct transcript from Peter Smith’s interview with Charles Green.

PS: Have you ever misled the supporters by telling them what they want to hear?

CG: Never

PS: Never?

CG: Never

PS: You are clear about that?

CG: Yes

PS: What about when you said Manchester United were in favour of Rangers moving to the Premiership? They’ve clearly stated they were against it.

CG: The spokesman did.

PS: So you told Rangers fans Man Utd were supportive of Rangers moving to the English Premiership. Manchester United say they are opposed to it.

CG: So Sir Alex Ferguson wouldn’t like to see Rangers in his league? Who is Manchester United? You define Manchester United.

PS: Who at Manchester United told you that you were wanted in the Premiership?

CG: I’ve had discussions with a number of clubs.

PS: Who at Manchester United told you that you were wanted in the Premiership?

CG: Well… why do we want to know that?

PS: I think there is evidence here that has been contradicted by Manchester United.

CG: It’s been contradicted by a spokesperson from Manchester United.

PS: So is that spokesman not speaking for the club?

CG: My lawyers, who are advising on Rangers going into the UK, have been speaking to a number of clubs, representatives of clubs, to owners of clubs.

I am absolutely very, very clear, from the discussions I’ve had with various people who are speaking to football clubs who would welcome Rangers to play in the English football league.

PS: Can you tell us which clubs?

CG: No. I don’t want to prejudice this club’s chance of playing in England by disclosing stuff prematurely.

PS: What about when Imran Ahmad told Rangers supporters talks with the Dallas Cowboys were going well?

CG: Well they are. I’ve got an email now if you want to read it after this interview from Dallas Cowboys.

PS: The Dallas Cowboys have previously told us there were no such talks.

CG: I don’t care, Peter, what they’ve said. I’ve just told you categorically, in front of the camera, when this interview finishes, I will show you an email where we are invited to go to Dallas Cowboys. The email came in three days ago.

So either believe me or not. If you don’t believe me, you’re entitled. But I’ll show you and then I want you, separately, to apologise on camera to say you were wrong about Dallas Cowboys, OK?

So far, STV has not been shown the email from the Dallas Cowboys.

A few days back Zappa says that the time had come to call a spade a spade and this sparked off varying posts on the merits of Charles Green. Do we really want a character like that in a leadership role at our club? I don't know how it can be achieved but If he was removed, I would welcome his departure.

Sadly I think he has to go, not because I thnk he's done anything wrong.

But the press simply won't leave him alone and its better for him and the club if they admit defeat and get a new CEO in. God help the poor sod who takes that job, because if he has so much as farted the wrong way in public its gong to be twisted around to him being responsible for global warming.

Anybody any names that spring to mind?

He has made a number of misleading statements to the press. Perhaps the time has come for him to stop giving interviews we have a communications officer for that. Charles Green clearly speaks without thinking.........

Perhaps it is time to tell the truth and nothing but the truth.

A few days back Zappa says that the time had come to call a spade a spade and this sparked off varying posts on the merits of Charles Green. Do we really want a character like that in a leadership role at our club? I don't know how it can be achieved but If he was removed, I would welcome his departure.

Me too, dependent on:

A) who replaces him (at the moment Whyte is making claims ffs)...

B) the newcomer revealing who is behind Blue Pitch Holdings, who he is actually working for in other words