Rangers: A House Divided (by Bill McMurdo)

Bill McMurdo's latest blog entry.....

Rangers: A House Divided

Posted on April 14, 2013

I am puzzled as to why Rangers need to appoint an independent panel to check out the business activities of Charles Green and Imran Ahmad.

Havenâ??t the SFA and SFL checked the propriety of Rangersâ?? fiscal dealings?

Didnâ??t Deloitte carry out necessary diligence on the clubâ??s directors over the share flotation?

Didnâ??t Ian Hart do a thorough check before accepting a directorship and pumping in £1 million?

Surely Walter Smith made surer than sure of his directorial colleaguesâ?? integrity before committing himself to his own latest role at the club?

How many tests do directors have to go through to be deemed fit and proper persons?

I appreciate that this panel may be tasked with looking into the Craig Whyte connection specifically in relation to the takeover but I am not sure that having such a public expression of doubt in key Rangersâ?? personnel as this panel is by definition is positive for the club.

Moreover, I am dubious that the panel idea is to get to the bottom of things as such. Like other panels of recent times, I think this panel is designed to be a kangaroo court whereby certain people want an outcome that indicts Green and Ahmad.

Of course, much hinges on how independent the independent panel is. What will constitute criteria for independence?

My understanding is that there is a boardroom split and even the mainstream press are saying that it is no secret that Rangers Chairman Malcolm Murray wants the Green team out of Ibrox.

If this is so, doesnâ??t that then mean he should step aside from the whole business of investigating Green?

Furthermore, given that Murray himself was the subject of much press speculation concerning his own conduct lately, will there be an independent panel looking into his fitness for office?

My misgivings about all this stem from one simple piece of logic, which is this:

The only thing that is of material interest to Rangers fans is if there is a present moment connection between Craig Whyte and any ownership of Rangers Football Club. That would include if Whyte was a director of Sevco Scotland. Secvco 5088 Ltd is totally irrelevant to Rangers. If there is such a connection, it is up to Craig Whyte to prove it either directly to the Rangers board or by the legal process.

It is NOT up to Charles Green and his colleagues to prove no such link exists. It is Whyte who is making the claims.

Sadly, many Rangers fans who would doubt Craig Whyte if he told them today was Sunday have no problem in using his pronouncements as a stick to beat the Rangers CEO with.

If Whyte can prove he has a claim on Rangers other than through Sevco 5088 â?? and Green and the consortium have hidden this from fans â?? then I agree their heads should roll.

But the Rangers board should tell Craig Whyte to put up or shut up rather than subject their fellow director and a colleague to intense scrutiny. This panel concept is something which will hobble the CEO at a time when he should be charging forward on Rangers business.

I am not being blindly pro-Green with my opposition to this panel. Part of my anger with the whole business is it is all beneath the dignity of Rangers Football Club. Some matters should be kept behind closed doors.

And it is only the most naive who donâ??t believe that this crude attempt to marginalise and remove Green and his team is part of a boardroom power struggle.

â??Thanks for buying the club, raising all that money and fighting the clubâ??s corner in a way no-one has done since Willie Waddell but itâ??s time for you to go.â?

Not for this bear.

If Green and his consortium colleagues are proven to be in bed AT THIS MOMENT with Craig Whyte, I will be shouting the loudest for their removal, donâ??t get me wrong.

But I will not endorse a witch hunt against men who were there when â??real Rangers menâ? were nowhere to be found.

As a fan, I want Rangers very much in the 21st century.

In my opinion, Charles Green has earned the right to be backed by the Rangers board â?? not treated as a suspect.

Incidentally, I hear that Craig Whyte has a lot more on his tape recorder than so far has been revealed.

Right now Charles Green is obviously his target.

But I am led to believe other names connected with the club may have cause to hope that the former owner loses his dictaphoneâ?¦

â??â??â??â??â??â??â??â??â??â??â??â??â??

I would just like to qualify something I said in a recent blog where I said I didnâ??t care what other Rangers fans thought. This made me sound like a bawheid.

What I meant was I didnâ??t care if other bluenoses disagreed with me and I would go further and say I donâ??t care even if they do agree with me. I donâ??t write this blog to keep my fellow fans happy. I am not interested in anything other than the good of the club.

Obviously, the intelligent Gers supporters agree with what I write!

As for the others, itâ??s a free country and I respect your right to be wrong in your opinionâ?¦

Seriously, it is a bit much to expect all Rangers fans to agree on everything involved with the club.

But I do believe all bluenoses should stand united in times of trouble.

A house divided cannot stand.

Let us all remember this.

I believe Rangers should conduct this investigation in private, not in the media. Once the investigation is complete, then publish all results in a full and frank manner. I trust the board enough for that to happen. They are not the SFA and they know they have to satisfy a wary support. If this investigation exonerates Green in his dealings with Whyte then I would be happy to support him after all of the good things he has done for us in the last year. I think that the last few weeks have given Green a lesson in PR he will not forget.

no matters should not be kept behind closed doors , lets get it out in the open let there be no more lies , and the ones that count the fans being fed a constant line of bullshit .

As I said in another thread, that wish will always remain that and does not need to be uttered. You will never get the confidental details of a company or a club out into the open.

he draws some very strange conclusions there.

why wouldnt green prove whyte wasn't involved if he can.

as for sevco 5088 not being relevant thats debatable. highly.

Again you beat the Sevco 5088 drum and speak of "strange conclusions". But I assume you will not be satisfied as long as you've seen the names of all parties involved with Sevco Scotland Ltd. et al in minute detail?

If Whyte really does have any sort of claim on ownership why does he go to the mhedia & not through legal channels ? he threatens to take everyone to court but ends up taking no one to court. As McMurdo quite correctly says Sevco5088 played no part in the newco and the documents STV showed on Friday are believed to be forgeries