Rangers ace Little backed by Northern Ireland boss

JOINT-TOP Rangers scorer Andy Little will succeed in main- taining his prolific strike rate as the Ibrox club rise up the leagues.

That was the prediction from Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill today as he reflected on his countryman's incredible season.

Little is hopeful of making his comeback from a knee injury in the Irn-Bru Third Division meeting with Peterhead on Saturday.

If he is passed fit to play, the 23-year-old will be optimistic of adding to his impressive haul of goals for the 2012-13 campaign.

Despite playing most of his football wide on the right, he has hit the target for Rangers on no fewer than 25 occasions.

The versatile player, who is level with club captain Lee McCulloch in the scoring charts, will find it harder to net as Rangers climb the tables.

However, O'Neill believes Little's success this season has boosted his self-belief and is confident he can go from strength to strength.

"I hadn't seen a lot of Andy before I took over as Northern Ireland manager last season," said O'Neill.

"But like many young players at Rangers, he has got the opportunity to play regularly because of what has happened to the club. He has certainly grasped it and scored a lot of goals.

"On the occasions I have seen him I have been impressed with his workrate and his willingness. He always works very hard for the team.

"He has also become a very good finisher, there is no doubt about that. The variety of goals he has scored has been impressive.

"He has scored in one-on-ones, he has scored from crosses, he has scored some really good goals, he has scored tap-ins.

"He doesn't just operate in the box either. He is very, very determined to get on the scoresheet. He is a very fit lad, he looks after himself."

O'Neill added: "The challenge for Andy now is to continue to play the way he has been and to continue to score goals as Rangers go up the leagues.

"But he will have gained an enormous amount of confidence from the run of games he has had this season and the number of goals he has scored.

"If he stays fit, I have no doubt he will carry on scoring next season and as Rangers move up the leagues back into the SPL."

O'Neill, unlike successive Scotland managers, has had no qualms picking Rangers players for Northern Ireland's current World Cup qualifying campaign.

Both Little and Dean Shiels have been involved as their country has taken on the likes of Russia, Portugal and Israel in Group F.

The former Brechin City manager reckons the attacking duo are still being tested despite playing in the fourth tier of Scottish football.

He said: "I do sometimes wonder if it is too difficult for players to come from playing in the Third Division to playing international football. It is certainly a massive step.

"But the expectations at Rangers are every bit as high as they have always been. The reality is they still have 46,000 fans demanding they win the game. That is a good experience for them.

"I know from experience there are a lot of good players in the lower leagues.

"It has been difficult for Rangers as they have had a lot of younger players in the team. I think that has been overlooked at times.

"Ally McCoist has had to deal with that. It's been a unique situation. But, obviously, the sooner Rangers return to a higher level the better."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/exclusive-rangers-ace-little-backed-by-northern-ireland-boss-121488n.20820394

Return in sight at last for Lewis

LEWIS Macleod is set to return to training with Rangers this week and could make his first-team comeback before the end of the season.

The 19-year-old midfielder has been out of action since January, writes Matthew Lindsay.

But he has made progress in recovering from knee ligament damage and could feature for the Irn-Bru Third Division champions before summer.

The player is also hoping to be fit for the Scotland Under-19s in the European Championships in Belgium next month.

McCoist also confirmed that Barrie McKay underwent a successful operation on a foot problem in London on Monday.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/return-in-sight-at-last-for-lewis-121515n.20823877

Will be good to get both back. My own personal player and young player of the year...

I'll create a Gersnet poll in a few weeks for everyone to cast their vote. Might look into getting a trophy made so a couple of GN members can make the presentation.

Will be good to get both back. My own personal player and young player of the year...

I'll create a Gersnet poll in a few weeks for everyone to cast their vote. Might look into getting a trophy made so a couple of GN members can make the presentation.

That's a brilliant idea, Frankie :)

Whether Little will progress as we climb the Leagues is hard to say, I certainly hope so, he seems to work hard at the game. Must admit it's a worry the amount of times he is injured.

It will be good to see McLeod back, find of the season for me, hope he is 100% fit.

It is hard to gauge a player's progress in terms of the Third Division environs but before this season I never really fancied Little on the right side as I always felt he looked much better up front.

However, this year his game has improved not just in attack but primarily from the right flank. His use of the ball is better, his timing of runs very good, his work-rate phenomenal and his finishing usually excellent. Sure, he's not the finished article and he is prone to niggling injuries but he's really grown in stature as a first choice player this season. It will be fascinating to see if he can continue that improvement as we rise back through the divisions - for club and country.

It is hard to gauge a player's progress in terms of the Third Division environs but before this season I never really fancied Little on the right side as I always felt he looked much better up front.

However, this year his game has improved not just in attack but primarily from the right flank. His use of the ball is better, his timing of runs very good, his work-rate phenomenal and his finishing usually excellent. Sure, he's not the finished article and he is prone to niggling injuries but he's really grew in stature as a first choice player this season. It will be fascinating to see if he can continue that improvement as we rise back through the divisions - for club and country.

There are a number of 1st team players that the same applies to - Mcleod, McKay, Aird, Naismith, Mitchel, Crawford.

If these players can continue their development with us & not get greedy for the bright lights & bumper paychecks of Engerland, then the future is bright!!!

There are a number of 1st team players that the same applies to - Mcleod, McKay, Aird, Naismith, Mitchel, Crawford.

If these players can continue their development with us & not get greedy for the bright lights & bumper paychecks of Engerland, then the future is bright!!!

Agreed but I think more was expected of Little given he's that bit older, more experienced and an international.

I feel Andy Little has an ability to continually get up the sides of central defenders, his hint of pace over the first 10 yards often gets him away into a finishing position. If we can get a couple of midfielders capable of sliding the ball into those channels, Little may prove as prolific as Jim Forrest.

As for Lewis McLeod; well, there can be only one.

I've felt a bit sorry this year for Little stuck out on the right but his fight and commitment to the team is to be admired. I think there is a lot more to come from him if we play him up front and provide the ammo.

I voted for him as player of the year and Lewis McLeod as young player of the year.