Founder RST board member writes for the RST.....

David Murray convinced his many admirers in the Rangers support that he would pass the club to a deserving and worthy new owner but he didn't do it.

Craig Whyte appeared from nowhere to take the reins after him, and Rangers collapsed quicker than a controlled demolition.

Charles Green emerged to clear up the mess, but supporters have no long-term idea of his plans. He could be here in ten years or gone in ten weeks. We just don't know.

It's surely time that we learned an important lesson. As long as the club can belong to anyone, anything can happen to it.

How can a support demand the highest of standards from Rangers, and yet not know who is going to own the club next or even when it is going to be sold?

How can an iconic 140 year old Scottish sporting institution be properly protected when anyone can come along and buy it?

Noone cares for Rangers more than its fans, and yet complete strangers can turn up and rule the roost at a club that they may not even respect or admire. Their motivation is commercial

gain, and that trumps all other considerations.

Rangers does not need to be run this way. It does not need to be a vehicle for financial advantage to passing ownership. It does not need to be damaged by the uncertainty, unpredictability and insecurity of custodianship which imposes itself on the club.

Rangers does not require to be owned by anyone other than those who care for it the most: the Rangers support. A fan owned club would still be run by the best professionals available. Fans wouldn't have to take turns washing the strips or selling the pies. The management of the club would be fully accountable to an elected supporter board.

The club would have an elected president instead of a chairman, and he or she would serve a fixed term. If the president did well, he would likely be re-elected, but if he disappointed, he would

be defeated by another candidate at the next election.

The President of Rangers would be a prestigious position, and it would carry a democratic legitimacy that is largely absent from the current governance of the club.

Members of Rangers, and there might be 100,000 or more, would be eligible to vote in presidential elections.

If David Murray had been president instead of owner, the reckless side of his ambition might have been held in check and his legacy would have been greater.

If Craig Whyte had stood in a presidential election, he surely wouldn't have been elected at all.

German clubs have made fan ownership work, and Barcelona and Real Madrid have made it work in Spain.

Isn't it time for Rangers fans to publicly demonstrate what 'we are the people' really means?

Let's make Rangers the people's club truly the people's club.

Join the RST and help make it happen: http://www.therst.co.uk

Why does everyone need to join the RST to make it happen? That is a no goer for a start.

We need an alternative then. Suppose we need someone to form another group and make fan ownership it's main aim? Solutions are always welcome.

what about the shareholders? would they get a say in electing the president? they do own the holding company after all.

Dare say they would Rab. My own idea is fans eventually own the club then we go to a members club.

We need an alternative then. Suppose we need someone to form another group and make fan ownership it's main aim? Solutions are always welcome.

I have no grievance with the RST as I have never been a member but I know many supporters do have. I do find it strange that I have to join a club to join another club. I personally think the fighting fund who already have some supporters money would be the people to organise it.

It always surprises and disappoints me that the club don't organise an official 'members' association where season ticket holders become automatic members while those who aren't as fortunate to attend games regularly can also pay a fee to join.

This is the best way for fans to become involved while raising money for the club as well.

The only reason I can see for this not happening is the club are frightened of the power such a group may hold.

It always surprises and disappoints me that the club don't organise an official 'members' association where season ticket holders become automatic members while those who aren't as fortunate to attend games regularly can also pay a fee to join.

This is the best way for fans to become involved while raising money for the club as well.

The only reason I can see for this not happening is the club are frightened of the power such a group may hold.

I only, if only.

That would need someone with vision, when have we had people like that.

A Jim McColl would have been ideal