Legends game-Nacho Novo

Nacho Set For Legends Clash Written by Andrew Dickson

3ea2730a45b35096a85ff9c85714e595_XL.jpg

NACHO NOVO is the latest star to sign up for next monthâ??s Legends game â?? and he hopes to convince Ally McCoist to sign him up for next season while heâ??s here.

The Spanish striker will be part of the squad of former Rangers players which will face a team of counterparts from Manchester United at Ibrox on Monday, May 6.

And it will be an emotional return to his spiritual home for the man whose penalty shoot-out winner against Fiorentina sent the Light Blues to the UEFA Cup final in 2008.

Signed from Dundee for £400,000 in the summer of 2004, the attacker made an instant impact as he scored 25 goals in his first season with the Light Blues.

Most crucially, his strike in a 1-0 win against Hibernian at Easter Road at the end of that term ensured Rangers won the title on Helicopter Sunday as Celtic lost 2-1 at Motherwell.

Novo had a habit of scoring hugely important goals in his time playing under Alex McLeish, Paul Le Guen and Walter Smith.

Amongst his more significant counters were one that put Gers into the Champions League group phase in 2007 and the Scottish Cup final winner against Falkirk in 2009.

Now heâ??s dreaming of getting another goal in the end-of-season charity fixture â?? but if itâ??s up to him it wonâ??t be his last in Govan.

Novo is currently at Huesca in the Spanish Segunda Division but his deal there only runs until the end of the season.

After three years away from the team he enjoyed six wonderful seasons with, he wants to come home.

And with Rangers restricted to signing out-of-contract players who they can register to play from September 1, Novo hopes an agreement can be struck.

He said: â??I canâ??t wait to come back to Ibrox. I am looking forward to the game a week on Monday and Iâ??m delighted to be taking part.

â??I really want to be there and itâ??s exciting to be returning. I have an important match with my club on the Sunday but then I will be travelling to Glasgow that night to be involved.

â??I canâ??t wait to play for the fans again. I have always been close to them and I have really missed that side of things while I have been away because Rangers are massive.

â??The supporters have suffered a lot this season with the situations at the club and hopefully I can help them have a nice way to finish the year.

â??I canâ??t wait to feel the atmosphere they create and I just hope itâ??s not the last time I play at Ibrox.

â??At this moment in time, I am leaving Huesca at the end of the season and I want to come back to Rangers.

â??It still feels like I only left yesterday. It is my team, my club, and I really miss it. It is in my mind that I want to return to the club next season.

â??I will need to speak with Coisty and see what he says but that is the first thing on my mind. I would love to play for the club again.

â??I have so many good memories and it has been nice over the years to have so many fans asking me to come back. For me, it is my home.â?

I'm not generally a fan of signing aging ex-players......however for wee Nacho, I would make an exception.

The guy obviously loves the club and I always found his work ethic 2nd to none - could prove an excellent role model for some of the younger players.

Nacho Novo - player/coach!!! Get it done Coisty....

I know we dont like going backwards, but we really could be doing with the drive, passion and determination to win that Novo brings - I would have thought his wages wouldnt be a huge stumbling block either.

I would take him back for next season, especially given the transfer embargo.

What a lift he would give the dressing room, and how refreshing it would be to see someone up front not giving defenders a seconds piece. We desparately need that example on the park at this time - it lifts others on the pitch and in the stands. And he will be very light on the budget. Where's the risk?

who's starting the whip-round for his wages???

Do we need to ? Sandaza will be off the wage bill, if not already then soon enough.

Good chance of Alexander being replaced by a cheaper option too, which will free up a fair chunk of cash.

who's starting the whip-round for his wages???

I've got no doubt that Lawwell will start up the whip round and Lenny will chip in heavily. They all love him down that way from what I recall. I remember seeing him being idolised at ther midden. They were throwing in lighters, pelters, money and mobile phones left right and centre. If we'd have picked that up, that would be his wages for two years. Instead they used it to help pay off Big Bobo.

At 34 he's perhaps not such a pest to defenders as he once was. Would prefer the lad Nicky Clark. Ever forward lads! Having said that I wouldn't be pissed off if he did return, seeing as he scored the only goal that made me cry!