Celtic to close part of their stadium???

While listening to Super Scoreboard last night, there were a couple of callers talking about Ceptic season tickets, and how they were being moved due to part of the stadium being closed.

The reason fro the closure was falling attendances!!!!

Anyone heard any further confirmation on this....or are the "greatest fans in the world" keeping it quiet.

Their safety certificate runs out this year, that could have something to do with it.

I heard way back their stadium was built with 'Lego' material and wouldn't last until 2013 so might be the reason for shutting down parts of it.

Can't imagine the mhanks cutting corners to keep up with us would they?

Always was.....always will be the piggery tho'

Edited by 54andcounting

Their safety certificate runs out this year, that could have something to do with it.

I heard way back their stadium was built with 'Lego' material and wouldn't last until 2013 so might be the reason for shutting down parts of it.

Can't imagine the mhanks cutting corners to keep up with us would they?

Always was.....always will be the piggery tho'

Tha's pretty shocking though, surely that's kind of playing with fire when it comes to stadiums

From what I recall from the caller....it was due to reduced ticket sales - there was no mention of safety certs. The caller was told directly by the ticket office when trying to renew his season ticket for a particular area.

From what I recall from the caller....it was due to reduced ticket sales - there was no mention of safety certs. The caller was told directly by the ticket office when trying to renew his season ticket for a particular area.

To be fair they would hardly be up front about it if it was a safety certificate issue - would be more convenient to say it was reduced ticket sales.

How many MORE tickets would they lose if they said "aye, the upper tier is being shut because we cant get our safety certificate renewed" ?

That said, it probably IS because of reduced ticket sales.

The reason is because of reduced ticket sales and to reduce costs.

Speaking to a Celtic supporting colleague, season ticket holders are spread across the majority of stands. So when you have a game where a reduced attendance is expected, say a mid-week cup fixture against a lower league team, then you have to front up the costs of keeping all areas of the stadium open.

What they are trying to do is keep season ticket holders to certain areas. That way, they can close some sections of the stand to reduce costs by not selling tickets for those areas; and knowing that there will be no season ticket holders who may or may not turn up.

Makes perfect sense, but its far more fun to wind them up about falling sales - so thats the angle I'm going for.