Frightening quotes from Ally

If there's any big money to spend we should be looking at spending it on 2 or 3 world class youngsters. I'm comfortable with the idea of the club spending £2m -£3m on a 17/18 year old if he's top quality.

If there's any big money to spend we should be looking at spending it on 2 or 3 world class youngsters. I'm comfortable with the idea of the club spending £2m -£3m on a 17/18 year old if he's top quality.

I doubt SFL2 would excite any world class youngster and even top quality ones is far fetched for where we are and will be for the foreseeable. Never mind the lack of development they will suffer whilst being at Rangers. Our realistic market is probably the Nicky Clarks, Marc McNultys and Ryan Donnellys etc etc not the next Schweinsteiger or Messi.

I doubt SFL2 would excite any world class youngster and even top quality ones is far fetched for where we are and will be for the foreseeable. Never mind the lack of development they will suffer whilst being at Rangers. Our realistic market is probably the Nicky Clarks, Marc McNultys and Ryan Donnellys etc etc not the next Schweinsteiger or Messi.

Indeed and that's why any mad ideas about big money signings should be completely shelved until we're back in the top flight. If the club finds itself with money to spend, it should be kept for when it will be desperately needed and then it should be used very wisely. The days of spending millions on guys like Naismith, Whittaker, Lafferty, Edu and countless others who we've spunked big money on should be well and truly over. No offense to those guys because they did help us win a bunch of silverware, but moving forward, our club needs to be A LOT more prudent with it's transfer budgets.

Indeed and that's why any mad ideas about big money signings should be completely shelved until we're back in the top flight. If the club finds itself with money to spend, it should be kept for when it will be desperately needed and then it should be used very wisely. The days of spending millions on guys like Naismith, Whittaker, Lafferty, Edu and countless others who we've spunked big money on should be well and truly over. No offense to those guys because they did help us win a bunch of silverware, but moving forward, our club needs to be A LOT more prudent with it's transfer budgets.

I agree with that. There is no need to throw money at players to get out of the lower leagues. I believe we are already wasting at least £4m or £5m per season in wages we do not need to be paying to get out of these leagues, money which could have been saved and given to the manager when we needed to spend it, a possible £15m by the time we get back to the SPL. Teams like Gretna and Livingston went all the way from bottom to top on a budget a tiny fraction of ours and didn't have anything like the revenue streams we have either. Those guys may have contributed to us winning silverware but their fees also went a long way towards our crippling debt which forced the bank to take charge of the club for a period and we couldn't even turn a profit on any of them despite us giving them their good footballing reputations. I think our business plan has been flawed since day one.

Edit: you guys moaning about how much we spend will be the first to moan if we don't win the title in our first season back.

Nobody could seriously expect to win the title the first year we're back. This whole issue has put Septic well ahead of us I would say, so winning the title will require a bit more than just playing in the according league.

Nobody could seriously expect to win the title the first year we're back. This whole issue has put Septic well ahead of us I would say, so winning the title will require a bit more than just playing in the according league.

Septic are far from invincible. This year's SPhell has shown that(7 DEFEATS ?). Don't forget that despite that despite all their alleged wealth they only seem to make signings in the £1m - £2m price range. That shouldn't be out of our range too when we get back there providing we make the right signings

Any monies we do have left from the IPO should not be wasted in the transfer market.

They should be used to ensure the club remains a viable concern for future years and there to help build foundations for the longer term.

Any monies we do have left from the IPO should not be wasted in the transfer market.

They should be used to ensure the club remains a viable concern for future years and there to help build foundations for the longer term.

I got another shock to the system re these future years in an article a pal just e-mailed me. In the midst of a piece about how Scottish football is dying of self-inflicted wounds (not exactly revelatory but a change of tone from even a few months ago re #booming), Keech Jackson writes:

Yes, Rangers packed more than 50,000 into Ibrox on Saturday to

celebrate the handing over of a trophy which had previously meant about as much to them as an empty can of lager.

But there are more stormy waters dead ahead for this club before it can be cleansed of its own crisis. Soon they may be in desperate trouble once more.

Now for all we may think he's risible as a journalist, he clearly has one or more inside sources of info and, so, this kind of comment gives me the heebie jeebies. I am not sure how much more I (we?) can take to be honest. I feel like I'm cracking up with nervous exhaustion after the last few years.

Septic are far from invincible. This year's SPhell has shown that(7 DEFEATS ?). Don't forget that despite that despite all their alleged wealth they only seem to make signings in the £1m - £2m price range. That shouldn't be out of our range too when we get back there providing we make the right signings

I hope you're right mate. From a gut feeling I'd say it's a long long way back to being able to keep up, let alone thump them. It will need very clever signings, I agree.