So why did HMRC allow Whyte to avoid paying over PAYE/NI for so long?

I still think it is a stretch to blame HMRC for this.

At the end of the day Whyte didnt pay the PAYE & NIC. Even if HMRC had requested it or told him to pay.... do we honestly think that a) he would have or b) he had the funds to do so.

Seems more to me like we are looking for additional scapegoats rather than lay the blame where it should be, at the feet of Craig Whyte.

And at the Mint for passing to the feet of Whyte

And at the Mint for passing to the feet of Whyte

Why should SDM be blamed for Craig Whyte not paying PAYE & NIC. That is the question at play in this thread, no ?

Guest alfiebass

This is just one of a number of questions that have yet to be answered by HMRC. The others include who was leaking documents, why did the pursue the BTC with such vigour when the top tax experts had already been saying they were legal, if they could do a deal with clubs like Arsenal why couldn't they do a deal with Rangers? There is one very valid question on the behaviour of HMRC where Rangers are concerned and that is who was making the decisions, I want to see the name of the person at the top who was giving the directions. was it a member of HMRC with an agenda or was there outside influence from a former labour cabinet minister in verbal or written form? Don't forget the famous and much spoken of dossier. What ever happened to that, did it go to HMRC and the SPL/SFA/Harper McCloud and if so when?

I wouldn't blame HMRC either. I would say a number of people knew what was going on or had suspicions at the time and I think more could've been done. But like other posts have already said most of it what happened was preplanned by Whyte.

there are 2 major questions which must be answered regards Whyte's ownership of Rangers

1) how did he get Rangers in the first place? was SDM blackmailed into selling by LBG?

2) how did Whyte get away with non-payment of PAYE/NI for so long?

I have a different question regarding the non-payment of PAYE and from a different perspective.

What difference would it have made if HMRC demanded payment from Whyte ? He would still in all likelihood have not paid it. He probably didnt even have the funds to pay it anyway. And that would still have meant we went into administration. HMRC would still have been able to veto the CVA given D&P gave the, at the time, potential EBT liability CVA voting power.

So the part that HMRC played in the non-payment of PAYE & NIC is a red herring for me. Whyte wouldnt have paid it even if it was enforced. And them chasing it would have made no difference to the outcome of administration.

I wouldn't blame HMRC either. I would say a number of people knew what was going on or had suspicions at the time and I think more could've been done. But like other posts have already said most of it what happened was preplanned by Whyte.

Your spot on more could have been done . Done by HMRC for starters and when did the SFA, who are supposed to be the governing body of Scottish Football, know about Whyte's non-payment? If Traynor & Jackson advised them in October2011 what did they do about it ? were they influenced too? by Regan's old buddy at the SFA who used to work with him at Coors maybe?

I'm not sure this was preplanned by Whyte either who was/is a kamikaze businessman who was relying on an early BTC verdict after he took over after which if Rangers won he'd sell Rangers(and make himself a profit) or put Rangers into administration if we lost & blame SDM for that. It never quite worked out the way he'd planned I think

Why should SDM be blamed for Craig Whyte not paying PAYE & NIC. That is the question at play in this thread, no ?

Because he was warned by many and by his own "advisory board" not to sell to Whyte as Whyte was a chancer with a record of not paying bills. So the non-paying of bills we are discussing is directly traceable to SDM's decision.