A Deafening Silence

[98] Meanwhile, BBC Scotland came, by unknown means, into possession of what they described as â??dozens of secret emails, letters and documentsâ?, which we understand were the productions before the Tax Tribunal. These formed the basis of a programme entitled â??Rangers â?? The Men Who Sold the Jerseysâ?, which was broadcast on 23 May 2012. BBC Scotland also published copious material on its website. The published material included a table containing the names of Rangers players, coaches and staff who were beneficiaries of the MGMRT, and how much they received through that trust. It also listed the names of people where the BBC had seen evidence that they received side-letters. This event appears to have been the trigger for more activity in response to the SPLâ??s request.

I'm sure many of you will recognise the above. It is an extract from Lord Nimmo Smith's report into the findings of the SPL's enquiry into Rangers. Section 98 of the report to be precise.

Please note the use of the use of the phrase "which we understand were productions in the Rangers tax case". For those who are not familiar with legal jargon the term "productions" refers to evidential items.

No legal knowledge whatsoever is required however to understand the gravity of the criminal conduct which involves the theft of evidence and passing it on to other parties.

Though perhaps someone should explain that to the Scottish press.

For despite Lord Nimmo's startling revelation in section 98, not one member of the Scottish press corps have followed up on this. The highest profile tax case ever in Scotland, which had our press salivating for months filling column after column. And even that was not enough to satisfy their appetite for they would visit on am almost daily basis, an untrustworthy website written by anonymous men. And despite the clear agenda of the Rangers tax case blog, despite the unknown extent of their qualifications to pass legal judgement, our press championed them, seduced by that websites ability day after day, to produce sensational revelations as a consequence of information passed onto them.

And yet when a source as credible and objective as one of this country's most qualified legal brains, in the form of Lord Nimmo Smith, makes the startling revelation that the evidence in the case which they drooled over for so long had been stolen, suddenly those same journalistic keyboards fall silent. Suddenly there is no longer the thirst for answers, an appetite for the truth. The new mantra they churn out is "forgive, forget and move on"

Why are they not asking the most fundamental of questions regarding this revelation the who, what, where, when, why or how ?

Has the demonisation of our football club reached the stage where the investigation of the truth is abandoned if the revealing of such truth shines favourably on our club, or perhaps more significantly, exposes those who have conspired, lied or been negligent ?

And of course this is not the first time that observations of our senior law lords has been ignored. Lord Glennie of course ruled the transfer embargo imposed on our club was, for want of a better word, unlawful. And yet that embargo still stands. It doesn't take much to read between the lines about what has happened behind closed doors. For those having difficulty doing so might I respectfully suggest you check the definition of blackmail in the dictionary. For any Rangers supporters still under the illusion that this was about justice, fairness and upholding the law, this incident should put any such notion firmly to bed.

But let us not just return to Lord Nimmo Smith's revelations but actually move beyond them. For as we all know the BBC were not the only recipients of confidential information - The Rangers Tax Case blog were also beneficiaries. For several months this blog mesmerised many within the Scottish media with their continued expose of confidential documents. Were these items also productions in the Rangers tax case and were they obtained from the same theft which benefited the BBC ? Or did they receive them as a consequence of a separate act of criminality ?

Either way it appears that HMRC did not feel that such criminality warranted a criminal investigation - otherwise Sir David Murray would not have felt it necessary to initiate a criminal complaint into this matter post tax tribunal verdict. It is also worth remembering his complaint was lodged prior to Lord Nimmo Smith's findings.

Of course the unanswered questions in this article could be replaced with certainty if 60,000 more Rangers supporters would sign the e-petition calling for a government enquiry into the conduct of HMRC.

But news reaches this blogger that the once talkative Mark Daly had become very tight lipped about discussing the Rangers tax case and his documentary, evading questions with a terse "No comment". The wheels of justice in motion ?

Has a clock started ticking on those who have conspired against our club, acted in a manner which suggested they were above the laws of the land and been negligent in their duty ?

Let me answer that one for you.

Tick Tock.

Great article as always Dart but I for one will not hold my breath with reagrds the Media changing their focus on this whole messy affair. Their agendas are so friggin obvious that I have genuinely stopped reading/viewing most of the drivel that comes from the press these days. Saying that I did notice someone posted that bizarre article by English the other day. He opens up with a discussion about the all German CL final and somehow manages to end up crow barring another slanted peice about his favourite subject Rangers. Truly bizarre.

At the end the of the day, the media has been sewn up by our Eastend buddies for years now and the only thing you will see coming ou of this mess are negative stories

Great article as always Dart but I for one will not hold my breath with reagrds the Media changing their focus on this whole messy affair. Their agendas are so friggin obvious that I have genuinely stopped reading/viewing most of the drivel that comes from the press these days. Saying that I did notice someone posted that bizarre article by English the other day. He opens up with a discussion about the all German CL final and somehow manages to end up crow barring another slanted peice about his favourite subject Rangers. Truly bizarre.

At the end the of the day' date=' the media has been sewn up by our Eastend buddies for years now and the only thing you will see coming ou of this mess are negative stories[/quote']

I have a sneaking suspicion Max that some of those in the press/media, and their behaviour with regard to our club, may in itself be making the headlines in the not too distant future.

Has the demonisation of our football club reached the stage where the investigation of the truth is abandoned if the revealing of such truth shines favourably on our club' date=' or perhaps more significantly, exposes those who have conspired, lied or been negligent ?[/quote']

I think that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Guest alfiebass
I have a sneaking suspicion Max that some of those in the press/media' date=' and their behaviour with regard to our club, may in itself be making the headlines in the not too distant future.[/quote']

Let's hope so, as for getting the truth out there the only thing I can see as viable would be through the publishing of books. One would deal with the facts and figure of what has gone on regarding our own club and a second giving the facts figures and naming of names of those on the GCC, MSP's and various organisations who have bent over backward to help the club they support gain land etc. at the cost of the tax payer. In both cases every detail would have to be checked for being from an authentic source and cross referenced as I'm sure we would see a certain Harper MacLeod low lever paper gatherer pop up some where trying to discredit it or have banned while looking for damages. Realistically though I don't see it happening as the resources involved for to research it would be costly, time consuming, and possibly physically dangerous if any allegations looked like being successfully linked to a certain group of people involved in Scottish football. I'm also pretty sure that the Labour party in Scotland would be less than happy about any factual publication.