Pre-season training at Gullane

Maybe the management should get all the players to take a ball home and look after it...nurish it...care for it...protect it. We need to get back to basics and learn to love the football. Saying that I'm not sure the management team are the people to do this...

That's funny but would you be able to take your manager seriously if he asked you to do the same thing with the main object of your work?

This was when I started going to games . We were often cr@p it`s true but we were fitter back then I reckon . I remember being right down at the trackside at Hampden one game (think it was a Skol cup final or semi-final) and watched one player in particular whose work rate and fitness astonished me so much I often think of it . I remember saying to my mates I had no idea he could put in such a shift .

It was Super Cooper .

That may be for one game, but I have many memories of the same player sulking on the touchline and not doing much at all - until a devastating run and dribble here and there... He used to get knackered having to take a corner from one side and then immediately another one from the other side, or swapping wings with Willie Johnston. He used to shout for the ball a few times and if he didn't get it, he'd sulk and you wouldn't see him run much for a while.

Not sure if it's anything to do with fitness but we played 44 games against part timers and failed to score in the 2nd half in 11 of them.

Also we conceded more goals in the 2nd half than we did in the 1st half of those games.

Yes, but there is more to scoring and conceding than the fitness of your own team.

I would say that training till you puke means you're over-training and will likely be counter productive as well as messing with your immune system and general health. I also think it would be massively negative for motivation and sports psychology.

If it actually worked, everyone would be doing it. It's a very old fashion way of thinking. I'm sure not many on here would be putting in good shifts at work if they had to work until they felt ill. Does that mean we're all prima-donnas?

pushing to the absolute limit, never did Sir Chris Hoy any harm or limited his success....Daily mail article

Armed forces, the world over regularly push soldiers to the limit in order to prepare them for any eventuality. As someone previously pointed out....when Jock Wallace had his team going up & down the sand dunes, it was as much (if not more so) mental conditioning - every player believe they were fitter, faster & stronger than their opposition - can any honestly say that has been the case @ RFC in recent years???

The players have it far too easy - a couple of week of serious boot camp would do them the world of good, and probably result in a much closer team!!!!

just because its old fashioned....does it mean it doesn't work???

Edited by Darthter

Guest Bradfield

I wonder how much of last season was down to mentality rather than physicality. The fact our away form steadily improved throughout the season while our home form declined was interesting.