Pre-season training at Gullane

Running up steep hills is definitely good interval training that really pushes the cardiovascular system, builds leg muscle and the training in sand is supposed to be good for strengthening the deeper, supportive muscles around the joints. However, there are other ways of doing the same thing without the dangers of unknowns in the terrain that could injure the players.

The army need to learn to traverse all types of terrain and so this would be more beneficial for them - and if someone is injured it's not going to be as crucial as losing a star player. Players need to train to sprint often on a pretty good, flat surface and so not sure it's as beneficial.

As an allegory, a lot of people think training on a heavy bike with high rolling resistance will make them faster on a light road bike, as it switching to a light, low resistance bike with then feel easy; however, top cyclists never train that way as it's a totally different cadence and rhythm than when in the race.

I think some "brutal" training would bring any prima-donna back down to earth. Players these days have it easy - couple of hours training each day then they are free to do as they please. Also the training that they do will be very structured to raise the heart beat to a specific level & maintain it. I would bet that none of our players (even going back a few years) have actually pushed their bodies to the point that they are physically sick......

Somewhere like Gullane sands is idea for giving the body a shock - takes the person out of their comfort zone & messes with their head. The players may be fit, but giving them a shock by running up & down sand dunes may well tell them that they aren't as fit as they first thought.

training in sand is supposed to be good for strengthening the deeper, supportive muscles around the joints. However, there are other ways of doing the same thing without the dangers of unknowns in the terrain that could injure the players.

Surely in the long term, that would be a good thing - less niggling injuries keeping players out of the squad. They need toughening up!!!

Maybe the management should get all the players to take a ball home and look after it...nurish it...care for it...protect it. We need to get back to basics and learn to love the football. Saying that I'm not sure the management team are the people to do this...

Introducing them to each other, the ball & the concept of passing to a team mate (who isn't always the keeper) will do initially. They can work on the finer points later.

Introducing them to each other, the ball & the concept of passing to a team mate (who isn't always the keeper) will do initially. They can work on the finer points later.

After last seaon, just passing to a team mate would a bonus.

Don't think many people remember the mid 80s when not only were we poor under Wallace, many a game was rendered pedestrian by passback after passback to the keeper.

This was when I started going to games . We were often cr@p it`s true but we were fitter back then I reckon . I remember being right down at the trackside at Hampden one game (think it was a Skol cup final or semi-final) and watched one player in particular whose work rate and fitness astonished me so much I often think of it . I remember saying to my mates I had no idea he could put in such a shift .

It was Super Cooper .

Surely in the long term, that would be a good thing - less niggling injuries keeping players out of the squad. They need toughening up!!!

I did say "supposed to" and I'm sure the current coaches and medical experts we have at the club know far more about this kind of stuff... Sports science has moved on a hell of a lot since the eighties.

I think some "brutal" training would bring any prima-donna back down to earth. Players these days have it easy - couple of hours training each day then they are free to do as they please. Also the training that they do will be very structured to raise the heart beat to a specific level & maintain it. I would bet that none of our players (even going back a few years) have actually pushed their bodies to the point that they are physically sick......

Somewhere like Gullane sands is idea for giving the body a shock - takes the person out of their comfort zone & messes with their head. The players may be fit, but giving them a shock by running up & down sand dunes may well tell them that they aren't as fit as they first thought.

I would say that training till you puke means you're over-training and will likely be counter productive as well as messing with your immune system and general health. I also think it would be massively negative for motivation and sports psychology.

If it actually worked, everyone would be doing it. It's a very old fashion way of thinking. I'm sure not many on here would be putting in good shifts at work if they had to work until they felt ill. Does that mean we're all prima-donnas?