Peralta Agrees Rangers Deal

Our huge wage bill worries me.

Maybe we wait till we see the actual figures before we start being worried? Hardly anyone of us knows what the current squad earns on average, nor what sort of income we'll generate till the end of the year.

ARNOLD PERALTA last night promised Rangers fans he’s ready for a title FIGHT.

Honduran hardman Peralta, 24, has penned a four-year contract with the Division Three champs. Speaking to SunSport from his national team’s World Cup training base in the US, the midfielder pledged to win a place in the hearts of Gers fans.

And Peralta — Ally McCoist’s fifth summer signing - reckons they’ll love his battling qualities.

He said: “I am the type of player who likes to work and run a lot. I am very physical, a workaholic and I am a team player.

“I am not going to promise 20 goals but I can promise hard work and plenty of sweat with the Rangers jersey.

“This is going to be from the start until the end of 90 minutes in each game.

“I am confident of my capabilities as a player. I want to show the Rangers fans that I am a footballer who plays with his heart.

“They are going to see a player up and down the pitch fighting for every ball.”

Peralta insists he owes McCoist after the Gers boss flew to Central America to watch him.

He added: “He has been very persistent in my signing for Rangers.

“He has changed my life already. I am going to play in Europe at a massive club and financially this move is good for me and my family.

“I cannot let this man down. He has put in a lot of effort to fly to Panama and see me playing.

“I have to pay him back and the only way to do it is going to be on the pitch.”

Peralta and other Gers signings may have to wait until September 1 to make their debuts.

Hampden top brass are ready to close the loophole which would allow Gers to use them as trialists.

Gers are in talks with Newcastle United over a friendly at Ibrox on August 6 or 7.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4955558/Arnold-Peralta-Im-a-title-fighter.html#ixzz2VIOG3a55

Maybe we wait till we see the actual figures before we start being worried? Hardly anyone of us knows what the current squad earns on average, nor what sort of income we'll generate till the end of the year.

No i think it is very safe to assume we cannot afford to carry this bulging squad. Bodies need to go and quick. Gone are the days of £30m/£40m/£50m turnovers. The longer it stays like this the more we have to eat into the IPO funds which should not be happenening.

No i think it is very safe to assume we cannot afford to carry this bulging squad. Bodies need to go and quick. Gone are the days of £30m/£40m/£50m turnovers. The longer it stays like this the more we have to eat into the IPO funds which should not be happenening.

The point is that we do not carry a 20+ squad of 15k/20k/30k players any longer. Apart from half-a-handful people (Alexander, Goian, Bocanegra ... possibly McCulloch), a few will earn 7k a week (Black, Templeton, Shiels et al), quite a number somewhere inbetween 2 and 6k (Argyriou, Hutton, Faure & Co., plus Law and Daly), and an equal number less than that (all youngsters). That will show up in our half- and full year figures. I do assume that we can cover these wages with the income we'll generate via ST sales, sponsorship deals and the like. The naming rights thing is also not off the table, AFAIK.

Sure, people will argue that we are a Second Division club, but we are still Rangers. As in: very much apart from the rest there is in Scotland beyond Scum FC. (And we should keep in mind that people will not come to us just because we are who we are.) I for one do not doubt that those doing the deals right now look very carefully at the "bank" balance etc.. Or they know that King is just round the corner ...

We are only allowed 22 senior players and so I can't see the squad getting too bloated. The wage bill will be very skewed at the moment with a few legacy players earning disproportionate wages for our current position. Alexander, McCulloch, Goian, Bocanegra and Wallace will take up a sizeable proportion of the budget. The likes of Templeton and Shiels and Black will also add to that as to come to us they will have significantly increased their SPL level of wages.

There will be quite a few players that are in a middling wage position which is far less than we used to pay but more than an average SPL side. That HAS to be the case as we are Rangers and the high wage is unfortunately one of the main attractions, especially with the caveat of playing the in the lower divisions. We are a club that will rarely get bargains - which has the plus side of the fans having a club that attracts a lot of half decent players and doesn't have to do the ducking and diving in the transfer market like the likes of Aberdeen or Hibs.

It seems obvious that we need to remove the high wages of Alexander (at least get him on a lower wage), Boca and Goian.

McCulloch is our captain and so is deserving of a high salary and the likes of Templeton and Wallace have good resale value and so the wages justify this.

I'm sure the new players this summer, while having high wages for Scottish football, will be on a new wage structure that reflects our lower turnover. They are not the likes of Ronald de Boer, Arthur Newman, Paul Gascoigne or Trevor Steven with sky high salaries that match or surpass the Premiership.