Armed Forces Day: Rangers' War Heroes

Another fantastic article from @RangersFacts on The Rangers Standard this morning. Taking a look at Rangers' war heroes ahead of Armed Forces Day this weekend.

http://www.therangersstandard.co.uk/index.php/articles/club-history/265-armed-forces-day-rangers-world-war-heroes

PS: I've added some bunting to the forum background to celebrate Saturday's festivities!

Guest kenjay

I note that South Lanarkshire Council have allowed a Hibernian march to proceed through Hamilton on Armed Forces Day. And I do not believe this was an oversight, This is allegedly the most corrupt council and Scotland and guess who runs it?

Edited by kenjay

Can't we all just get along?

Me and the wee fella shall be 'separating' from the female's shopping expedition today by heading into George Square and seeing some of the celebrations.

I'm not a patriot by any manner or means but I do enjoy these things as it brings people together. :)

I note that South Lanarkshire Council have allowed a Hibernian march to proceed through Hamilton on Armed Forces Day. And I do not believe this was an oversight, This is allegedly the most corrupt council and Scotland and guess who runs it?

It's a free country, they are entitled to express their opinion, so long as they do it peaceably and within the law. Hundreds of Thousands of servicemen fought and died to preserve that right.

February 2013

[h=1]Jimmy Speirs – Inspirational captain, brave soldier[/h]

Bradford City’s visit to Wembley for the Capital One Cup final on 24 February has attracted worldwide media coverage and public interest, but many are surprised to learn this is not the club's first appearance in a major cup final. City, currently lying mid-table in League 2, won the FA Cup in 1911 beating Newcastle United 1-0 in a replay held at Old Trafford after the first match at Crystal Palace ended 0-0. City’s cup winning team included eight Scotsmen, still a record for an FA Cup final, among them Jimmy Speirs who was their inspirational captain. It was Speirs who scored the winning goal after 15 minutes, when his header crept into the net after confusion in the Newcastle goalmouth. After the game Speirs held aloft the new (current) FA Cup which coincidentally had been made in Bradford by the jewellery firm Fattorini & Sons. 6a00d8341c464853ef017c3703a385970b-800wi

James Hamilton Speirs was born in Glasgow in 1886. At the age of 19 he joined Glasgow Rangers and then Clyde before moving south to sign for Bradford City in July 1909, making his debut against Manchester United on 1st September. Speirs was described as ‘a cultured and scheming inside-right’ who averaged a goal every two games during his Scottish career. In March 1908 Speirs won his only international cap for Scotland in a match against Wales. At City he played 86 League games scoring 29 times before moving to Leeds City (United) in December 1912 for a then huge fee of £1400. After a further 73 League games and 32 goals, Speirs played his last match in the final game of the 1914-15 season. Despite being married with two young children, he returned to Glasgow and volunteered to join the Cameron Highlanders and enlisted on 17 May 1915. Conscription was still over a year away and even then he would have been exempt through being married with a young family. In March 1916 Corporal Speirs was posted to France. He won the Military Medal for bravery in May 1917 during the Second Battle of Arras, though unfortunately the citation has not survived, and was then promoted to Sergeant. Later that year on 20 August during the Battle Passchendaele, Speirs was reported wounded and missing, with his widow eventually being informed that he had died on or shortly after that date.

Jimmy Speirs is buried at Dochy Farm New British Cemetery near Ypres in Belgium. The grave has received a new headstone and for the first time in 90 years his name is spelt correctly. It had been spelt Spiers, an error that had been made on his enrolment form when he first joined the army. Looking back as a City fan it is sad to learn of a man who had died a lonely death in a muddy shell-hole just six years after holding-up the FA Cup in front of thousands of cheering Bradfordians.

John Watmough

Copy Cataloguing Team

- See more at: http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/untoldlives/leisure/#sthash.tfHwDgb2.dpuf