If we get a couple of decent CHs - Is this team good enough to win the SLC or SC?

Guest nvager

I would like us to hold our own in the cups, if we go out, at least go out fighting, we seemed to go out with a wimper in the 3 cups we were involved in.

IMHO, we were as much cheated out of the Ramsden Cup by inept refereeing as we were lackadaisical on the night. ICT were on the night the better team, Dundee United got off to a flyer and caught us out later on. That was when our team was already in holiday mode* though, if you'd ask me.

McCoist got the people he wanted and the first choice chaps are good enough to beat any team in Scotland if (sic!) they click and play up to 100% of their own abilities. As with last season, the league is the priority and any cup a bonus.

*Which started some time in January ...

Tbh, I really don't see how bringing in a couple of new central defenders who've never played with each other (or played with our team) before and will need time to settle into our team is going to help us short term in the early rounds of the cups. Every cup game is a potential banana skin and I don't really think a couple of new CHs will significantly improve our chances. It could in fact work against us if they make mistakes because they're new to the side and there's some miscommunication or a misunderstanding at the back.

Regarding our general chances of winning one of the cups, well let's put it this way... Would you put money on it? What about both big cups? Would you bet serious money on us winning the League and Scottish cups? I suppose it depends how much throwaway cash you have or how hardcore a gambler you are, but personally, I wouldn't put a penny on us winning anything other than the league title.

Tbh, I really don't see how bringing in a couple of new central defenders who've never played with each other (or played with our team) before and will need time to settle into our team is going to help us short term in the early rounds of the cups. Every cup game is a potential banana skin and I don't really think a couple of new CHs will significantly improve our chances. It could in fact work against us if they make mistakes because they're new to the side and there's some miscommunication or a misunderstanding at the back.

Regarding our general chances of winning one of the cups, well let's put it this way... Would you put money on it? What about both big cups? Would you bet serious money on us winning the League and Scottish cups? I suppose it depends how much throwaway cash you have or how hardcore a gambler you are, but personally, I wouldn't put a penny on us winning anything other than the league title.

I don't really bet anyway.

But it shouldn't be impossible, our squad is still the 2nd most expensive and 2nd best in Scotland.

if we get a style of play and can impose that on spfl3 teams week in week out. then our undoubted quality will see us able to do the same to most teams in the cups.

last year we went to tanadice already beaten imho. that needs to change.

consistancy and work rate will be the key.

I don't really bet anyway.

But it shouldn't be impossible, our squad is still the 2nd most expensive and 2nd best in Scotland.

I don't bet either, but using the gambling aspect is a good way for discussing our chances. Gribz mentioned that we are 10/1 joint second favourites with Motherwell to win either Cup. Those odds show you that we only have an outside chance. Ok, so we are one of the top favourites, but we're not a shoe-in by a any stretch of the imagination, so all this talk from some people saying we must win one of them and Ally has no excuses etc etc, is just completely unrealistic.

Why the need for 2 new CH's ?

We haven't lost a goal in 3 pre-season games yet... Mohsni looks like he could be a bit of a player - get him signed up. Cribari has looked decent enough beside him too. One more CB should be enough with the resources we already have with Mohsni, Cribari, Gasparotto, and even Perry & Hegarty.

Why the need for 2 new CH's ?

We haven't lost a goal in 3 pre-season games yet... Mohsni looks like he could be a bit of a player - get him signed up. Cribari has looked decent enough beside him too. One more CB should be enough with the resources we already have with Mohsni, Cribari, Gasparotto, and even Perry & Hegarty.

When you take those you've listed there and add on Faure, our other young CH's and also Jon Daly as an emergency option, I really don't think we need to increase the wage bill with more CH's for this season. Spending another 10 or 15 grand a week on a couple of new CH's isn't going to increase our chances of winning one of the cups by any significant factor.

Ally McCoist has told Sky Sports News he will be "thrilled" if Rangers secure deals for Bilel Mohsni and Boris Pandza.

Mohsni was part of a travelling side which won 1-0 at Bristol City on Saturday, and the defender again impressed McCoist.

Talks remain ongoing with the Frenchman and his fellow centre-half Pandza, and the Rangers manager is hopeful both will arrive permanently when the club's transfer embargo is lifted in September.

He said: "It would be brilliant if we could get the two of them - a Christmas cake scenario.

"Boris is a really good standard of player, and our chief executive Craig Mather has been in talks with his representative. I'd be absolutely thrilled if we could get both.

"Bilel has been terrific for us, and we'd obviously be keen to take it further and offer him a contract.

"I think he's happy at the club, he's settled in well, and we've certainly liked what we've seen so hopefully we can get the deal done. I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting the paperwork done."

McCoist earlier welcomed Mather's appointment as permanent chief executive.

He said: "I'm delighted about it, absolutely delighted, and I've phoned Craig to congratulate him. I've said all along that we need to get stability at boardroom level and at the higher levels within the club.

"I believe we're getting there now, I really do. I certainly hope so because that's what we've been crying out for.

"The last couple of years have been traumatic to say the least for the football club but things are settling down and that helps."

Sounds promising

One centre half should be enough, at that we need to dispose of 1 or 2.

Yeah, I don't understand why Ally wants to bring in both Mohsni and Pandza. I would have thought bringing in Mohsni would be enough.