And what an absolute gent. My brother was at a dinner with him recently and told me he was one of these real down to earth blokes, and also very interesting. He said he could have listened to him forever.

He was sacked when we were at the top of the league by 2 points if I'm correct. True story - I remember as a wee kid my dad draw up outside the main door at Ibrox just after we had been beaten 3-1 by a very good Gornik Zabre side (Polish). I asked my dad what we were waiting on and he said "we are giving a lift home to Brian Heron (the Rangers left back that night. Can you imagine a player getting a lift home now?)". I was so excited, but then Brain came out close to tears and said "I'm finished I think" (he had been torn apart by Labanski or Lato I think) "but I think poor Davie is too". Somebody knew that night for some reason and of course it ended up true.

Should have been remembered more by the Club I believe - not many managers got sacked in those days when top of their league. RIP Davie.

Edited by Anchorman

Unbelievable he was only the 4th to manage Rangers. Shame he had to take over so suddenly and was never really able to adjust in those difficult times facing Septic under Jock Stein. A great Rangers man, RIP.

rip davie white a good manager and an even better man let down by baxter and co plus old chairman john and his mouthpiece willie allison you were to good a man to be treated the way you were .

but a rangers man to the end no running to sell any stories .