CEO salary £500K

The fact is we're paying out far too much wages to non-playing staff. Don't forget the manager is supposedly on £750k pa - far too much for div2. I would be interested to know what percentage of the wage bill goes to non-playing staff. I think we'd be shocked

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23412447

Rangers chief executive Craig Mather will pick up £500,000 per year at Ibrox - a salary that has angered some within the club, BBC Scotland has learned.

Mather was given the role on a permanent basis earlier this month, having initially taken an interim role following Charles Green's departure.

Green was on a salary of around £350,000 at Ibrox.

And the increase for the new CEO has raised eyebrows with some on the board and some major shareholders.

The concern comes as the club, it is understood, continues to lose cash on a monthly basis.

Mather invested £1m after Green, who left the club over allegations about his business dealings with former owner Craig Whyte , led a consortium to buy the club's assets following administration and liquidation last year.

One source told BBC Scotland: "Given where the club is at the moment, the salary is just bizarre.

"It appears to be a premiership salary for a Scottish Second Division chief executive.

"It comes at a time when the club continues to cut costs and just sends out the wrong message."

This can very easily be proven or not, all that is required is for a shareholder to visit the company's registered address (Ibrox) and ask to see Craig Mather's ( in fact any Director's) service contract it is a legal requirement.

Directors are required by company law to have a service contract.

Definition

A directors' service contract, in relation to a company, means a contract under which:

a director of the company undertakes to perform services (as director or otherwise) for the company, or for a subsidiary of the company, or

services (as director or otherwise) that a director of the company undertakes personally to perform are made available by a third party to the company, or to a subsidiary of the company.

The company is required to keep directors' service contracts or any memorandum of terms at the company's registered office, or at any place specified under section 1136, as section 229 confers rights on members to inspect a request copies.

Where a director is also the sole member, the company must, unless the contract is in writing, ensure that the terms of the contract are either set out in a written memorandum or recorded in the minutes of the first meting of the directors following the making of the contract.

http://www.jcca.co.uk/business/limited-companies/companies-act-2006/directors-service-contracts

http://www.shareholderrights.co.uk/RightsOfAShareHolder/Any.html

[h=1]Bumper Pay For New Rangers Chief[/h]Posted on July 22, 2013 by billmcmurdo

I am reliably informed that the Rangers board have just awarded new CEO Craig Mather a whopping £500,000 salary – much to the chagrin of some investors.

It is my understanding that the only board member to oppose the salary figure was new member James Easdale.

Mather’s annual pay is now 150K more than that of his predecessor, Charles Green.

Alarmingly for Rangers fans I am told the club is losing between 300K to 500K per month and that some investors have grave concerns about the way things are being run.

Rangers certainly seem to be spending a great deal of money and there are those who feel the club is living beyond its means.

For them, the news of Craig Mather’s monster salary will be a worry.

Rangers’ expenditure is a large part of what has agitated the recent boardroom wars and it is my understanding that certain investors will not let up until the club shows much more self-discipline in respect of its outgoings.

Finance Director Brian Stockbridge has done a magnificent job of trimming the fat but he is not in full control of what Rangers spend.

I know that James Easdale is someone who will use his influence to prevent unnecessary profligacy in spending at Rangers.

As I have said before, Rangers have a great opportunity to set a great fiscal example in this age of FFP. Sadly, that doesn’t look like it is happening right now.

Meanwhile, Rangers fans appear to be divided over the possible return of Charles Green to the club.

Those in the anti-Green faction on Follow Follow have been vociferous in their opposition while there has been much support for Green’s return on Rangers Media, which is much more indicative of the average bear’s thinking.

All in all I think a majority of bluenoses would be happy to see Big Chuck come back and finish what he started at Ibrox.

One thing is for sure – the club desperately needs a figurehead who will engage with the media without backing down.

It has to be said that there is more to Green than just the belligerent side, though. Few people in British football have the contacts and friends he has amassed in the game and beyond. This networking capacity that he brings is invaluable for Rangers.

I was saddened to see that fellow blogger Chris Graham has had to come off Twitter for a while due to threats from supporters of a certain team.

Chris has had no option but to report these threats to the police and it is to be hoped that robust justice is meted out to those who use social media in a very anti-social way.

Sadly, Scottish football has been shamed by certain people in recent days and even more shameful is our complicit media mostly turning their usual blind eye.

We live in troublesome times when it seems that bigotry and prejudice, far from being banished in our supposedly tolerant and enlightened age, are more deeply ensconced than ever in certain peoples’ hearts and minds.

Those of us who despise the bigotry must never back down in our opposition to those who feed on hate – and who want to ram that hate down our throats.

There are several ways you can look at this news. If we make a comparison on the playing side first, we know that we acquired a bunch of players this season who look good enough to romp the 2nd div. and probably the 1st div. too, but let's be honest they are not of the calibre required for CL football. We will most likely have to spend some cash to buy a better calibre of player and pay a lot more in weekly wages as well.

However, to be able to go into the top division and hit the ground running we had better be well oiled and well run by then. Good management and good coaches don't come cheap. If we were paying wages at the same level as the other lower leagues sides then we would probably still win stuff, but we know that is not good enough for Rangers - we need to keep winning and get into Europe. If we don't put all the procedures and structures in place now to maintain high revenue streams but wait until we get into the top division and then expect to pay top dollar wages then we lose the chance to have a settled regime and the benefits that this will bring, e.g. players who are well known to each other for the most part. A natural progression of buying and selling of players and backroom staff who can win us the top title at the first time of asking. We have to be thinking big enough to attract good players.

Mather has told us his vision is to build a team to compete with Celtic right from the off. He has said we are within budget. I agree that this does seem like an horrendous size of salary for him and Ally, but when we get back into Europe in three seasons maybe it will seem like a bargain. If he doesn't make it, he and/or Ally, will be hastily re-appraised I'm sure. I know that we have to be fiscally responsible and that this is a bit of a gamble, but when you reach for the stars you have to be prepared to be able to pay for the journey.

It does not have to turn into the SDM years again.

Edited by barca72