SPFL chiefs admit they can't explain their own rules regarding cup appearances

THE SPFL have admitted they donâ??t have a clue why Rangers can field two trialists in the Ramsdens Cup tomorrow â?? but wonâ??t be able to if they reach round two.

Ally McCoist who last night completed the signing of defender Bilel Mohsni on a two-year deal, is bemused by the ruling which the SPFL inherited from the SFL who ran the competition before being merged with the SPL last month.

The Rangers managerâ??s plans were thrown into chaos yesterday when he was told he canâ??t use any of his new signings who played outside Scotland last term until the clubâ??s registration ban ends on September 1.

And although he can field two of the four new boys who played in Scotland last term â?? Cammy Bell, Nicky Law, Nicky Clark and Jon Daly â?? against Albion Rovers at neutral Almondvale tomorrow, they wonâ??t be allowed to play in the next round on August 21.

An SPFL spokesman said: â??Trialists can play in round one but not round two or after. But we are not in a position to explain the logic of that rule.

â??We inherited the competition, and the League Cup, and in the interests of stability this season we are adhering to the rules that were in place.

â??We will, however, be discussing matters such as scheduling, trialists and reserve leagues over the next six to 10 months to try to improve things.â?

McCoist wonâ??t be able to play new recruit Mohsni until September 1. The same applies to Stevie Smith, Richard Foster and Arnold Peralta, who played outside Scotland last year and canâ??t be used as trialists.

McCoist said: â??We can play two trialists on Sunday as long as their international transfer clearances are in Scotland. We canâ??t play any of the others because their ITCs are not in Scotland.

â??In the next round of the Ramsdens, if we get there, we canâ??t play any

trialists.

â??We canâ??t play any trialists in the League Cup. And in the league we can play two trialists three times as long as their ITC is in Scotland.

â??So we wonâ??t see anybody whose ITC is not in Scotland until September 1.

â??It comes as a major disappointment. It completely baffles me how you can play a trialist in the first round of the Ramsdens but canâ??t in the next round.

â??It creates a false start to the season but it is a problem weâ??ll have to handle. There is a positive way to look at it â?? the boys who start will be trying to keep the jersey and make it extremely

difficult for the other boys to get in.

â??But it is far from ideal that it is the best part of another five weeks where the boys canâ??t play competitive games.â?

French-Tunisian stopper Mohsni is McCoistâ??s eighth summer signing after impressing on trial.

The 26-year-old was a free agent after a three-year stint at Southend and canâ??t wait to play at a packed Ibrox after being impressed with Gers fans during pre-season action in the Highlands, England and Germany.

Mohsni said: â??Iâ??m very happy to sign for Rangers. It would be amazing to help the club back to the top league where they belong.

â??Itâ??s a great squad with a fantastic atmosphere and all the players welcomed me very quickly.

â??I became a professional later in life. I was still a fan six years ago so I know what it feels like to be a supporter.

â??If people ask me for an autograph or picture I am happy. That makes me feel closer to the fans and every away game so far has felt like a home match.

â??I canâ??t imagine what it will be like to play in our stadium.â?

"An SPFL spokesman said: “Trialists can play in round one but not round two or after. But we are not in a position to explain the logic of that rule. We inherited the competition, and the League Cup, and in the interests of stability this season we are adhering to the rules that were in place."

Passing the buck. Disgracefully inept.

Scottish football is a joke and our only hope for the future is to develop an infrastructure through intelligent coaching, scouting and youth development where its weakness is irrelevant. I don't hold much hope for this though. I used to go on and on about this on FF a good 10 years + ago but I decided just to give up. I think we were making moves towards this in the DA era but then McLeish came in and ever since then we've gone backwards.

Also, I think it highlights how pathetic our setup here is when trialists are allowed to play in the first place. Could you imagine trialists playing in the championship or league 1 in England? It is utterly pathetic. It's Sunday league beer belly stuff

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Boycott!!! That would soon have them explain.

How much longer do we let them get away with making things up as they go along. Hit them in the pockets. We don't intent on winning the league or Scottish cup in the next 2 seasons anyway.

Guest Nevergreen

Boycott who, better still go support your team and create an atmosphere akin to that of Wednesday, you will leave Rangers strongholds all over the Scottish map.

Guest alfiebass
Boycott who, better still go support your team and create an atmosphere akin to that of Wednesday, you will leave Rangers strongholds all over the Scottish map.

Sure, give them money and they'll all love us. Save your cash and spend it at Ibrox, the rest of Scottish football is toxic.