Mike Ashley looks set to leave Newcastle for Rangers

If you're criticising Ashley for his legal use of zero hour contracts then surely he must warrant praise for the fact that the average full time employee has received £90k in bonuses over the last two years?

I can't see how that should warrant any praise... quite the opposite. Reward the upper management with riches while shafting the people on the floor - sounds bad to me.

I can't see how that should warrant any praise... quite the opposite. Reward the upper management with riches while shafting the people on the floor - sounds bad to me.

It's the people on the shop floor who have got the £90k.

It's the people on the shop floor who have got the £90k.

You said full time and the earlier argument was that 90% of staff are on 0 hour contracts. I can't see them paying that high a percentage of their staff a £90k bonus.

I live in the North East and have a few friends that are Newcastle supporters, for a reasonable sized one club city they are passionate and a bit parochial. They like to produce their own home town managers, nothing wrong with that but limits the gene pool.

You said full time and the earlier argument was that 90% of staff are on 0 hour contracts. I can't see them paying that high a percentage of their staff a £90k bonus.

Yes full time employees received the bonus, I'm unaware of anybody being Shanghaied to work for Sports Direct on a zero hour contract.

That's slightly misleading - it wasn't the average worker who got those bonuses.

Iirc they had to say in situ for a four year period, opt into a share scheme and not relinquish those shares in the meantime. Anyone who has shopped in SD will know that remaining in there for 4 minutes is quite the ordeal; I would imagine the numbers of staff who lucked into this bonus (jammy bassas!) will be small.

That's slightly misleading - it wasn't the average worker who got those bonuses.

Iirc they had to say in situ for a four year period, opt into a share scheme and not relinquish those shares in the meantime. Anyone who has shopped in SD will know that remaining in there for 4 minutes is quite the ordeal; I would imagine the numbers of staff who lucked into this bonus (jammy bassas!) will be small.

That's the nature of employee share save schemes.

Even the NHS use zero hour contracts as do 23% of employers.