EXCLUSIVE: Emilson Cribari rejects chance to quit Ibrox

EXCLUSIVE: Emilson Cribari rejects chance to quit Ibrox

EMILSON CRIBARI has rejected a move to Greek side Xanthi – leaving Rangers boss Ally McCoist in a sweat over any late transfer activity at Ibrox.

By: Scott Burns and Michael Baillie

Published: Mon, August 26, 2013

The cash-strapped Light Blues were willing to let the Brazilian defender, below, go to free up wages to help bring in Bosnian international Boris Pandza and keeper Steve Simonsen.

Xanthi’s offer was relayed to Cribari’s agent but the player made it clear he is happy to remain at Rangers, where is one of the higher earners, to help the club progress up the leagues.

There is still interest in the 33-year-old from across Europe and he could yet be persuaded to leave if the right deal comes up before the close of the transfer window on Monday.

The League One leaders are trying to move out some of their fringe players and are even willing to loan out younger members of their squad to free up money.

McCoist remains determined to strengthen his defence and has been on the trail of Pandza for much of the summer.

Rangers chief executive Craig Mather has been in discussions with the 26-year-old’s representative over a possible deal.

McCoist said: “I know Craig spoke to the agent. I haven’t spoken to Pandza for three weeks.

“We just need to get a bit of activity in players going the other way, as I think that would probably help. There are one or two players I would like to bring in.

McCoist, who has already spent all of his summer budget for new signings, is keen to bring in another striker, and Express Sport understands his interest in bringing Kenny Miller back to Ibrox is not dead.

The 33-year-old, above, recently penned a six-month extension with Vancouver Whitecaps but the Ibrox club have kept in contact with the player’s agent and are confident of forcing through a deal if they find the funds.

Vancouver are desperate to keep Miller but the player himself could force any deal through as he is keen to return to Scotland over the longer term.

The former Hibs, Wolves, Celtic, Derby, Bursaspor and Cardiff frontman retired from Scotland international duty last week.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/424798/EXCLUSIVE-Emilson-Cribari-rejects-chance-to-quit-Ibrox

...but the player made it clear he is happy to remain at Rangers, where is one of the higher earners, to help the club progress up the leagues.

Interesting which fact keeps him here. Being a high earner or wanting to help the Club? I'd imagine Xanthi wouldn't have paid him nearly as much as Rangers.

Nothing Rangers can do about it if he decides to sit tight, other than pay him off and since Pandza is unlikely to be cheaper the maths simply don't add up, even if there's logic in it from a playing sense. Mohsni and Faure or McCulloch look just fine to me.

Much as I think that Kenny Miller would be better than anything else we have in the striking department at the moment (including Daly), he is 34 in December and if he comes in then young Clark is not going to get a game (he'll struggle as it is) so what's the point in the short or long term?

Interesting which fact keeps him here. Being a high earner or wanting to help the Club?

There's other possible reasons too, such as Greece is a country in chaos and Xanthi is a shit football club. :D

Much as I think that Kenny Miller would be better than anything else we have in the striking department at the moment (including Daly), he is 34 in December and if he comes in then young Clark is not going to get a game (he'll struggle as it is) so what's the point in the short or long term?

There's absolutely no justification for bringing in Kenny Miller when we're in the 3rd tier of Scottish football. We need to be cutting our cloth, not being ridiculously extravagant.

Cribari ... the question is, who brought him here? While it is obviously great to play for a great club like Rangers and become one of the heroes who helped them back, money will have played a part. Is he one of the higher earners? Probably. That said (and oftentimes before), he'll be on less than a third if not a fourth of what previous players received at Rangers, 4th / 3rd tier or not. We are essentially a lower tier team in ranking only - if compared to any team there is. We sure have to cut our cloth, but as it seems, the real cutting needs to be done up there at boardroom/director/affiliates level.

As for Cribari, I don't think he's done that much wrong. Took him time to settle in an utterly alien environment (for a Brazilian who played most of his time in Italy), yet, when paired with a decent centre-half looks good enough for us. I do assume that McCoist wants to build a younger looking defence though, with Mohsni, Pandza, Faure, Gasparotto, McAusland and Hegarty the prime candidates. Should Cribari decide to stay, it would be time for Hegarty and/or Gasparotto to be loaned out.