A tribute that was clearly agreed with his family.

Does there really need to be any more reason than that?

Perhaps not. I'm just wondering why it was arranged. Is there a connection between the man and our club that I'm unaware of? It's difficult because I don't want to seem callous or to cause offence but it surprised me that was all. I remember last season or the one before Ally McCoist made a club statement of condolence for a soldier who'd been killed in Afghanistan but I recall the man who died was a local guy and a Rangers supporter. I was unaware of the link in this case.

Perhaps not. I'm just wondering why it was arranged. Is there a connection between the man and our club that I'm unaware of? It's difficult because I don't want to seem callous or to cause offence but it surprised me that was all. I remember last season or the one before Ally McCoist made a club statement of condolence for a soldier who'd been killed in Afghanistan but I recall the man who died was a local guy and a Rangers supporter. I was unaware of the link in this case.

Our club has always greatly supported the armed forces, i'm sure you'd agree. And this case was particularly shocking considering it happened out of the blue on home soil.

Captain Walter Barrie, a lifelong Rangers fan. No doubt about that.

I think the original idea in Sheffield stemmed from the sense of disgust and embarassment at another of our country's support who had gone to Brentford only days before and an element of their 'fans' had sung despicable songs about the boy's murder. News of this disgusting act was gathering pace on the web etc. I believe this flag was produced to show (a) we should not all be tarred with the same brush up here, and (b) not only that, but we as a support (in general) support the armed forces and were appalled at the event, and the sickening behaviour of 'fellow countrymen (?)' who besmirched the boy's name.

Whether you agree with it or not, I believe that was the motive behind it. The family found out about the flag in Sheffield, and contacted the Coatbridge Supporters Club to thank them on behalf of the family who were taken aback by the gesture. The family asked if they could have the flag, and the supporters club obliged. The family were then invited up to be presented with the flag, which if I'm not mistaken, was what happened on Saturday.

Our club has always greatly supported the armed forces, i'm sure you'd agree. And this case was particularly shocking considering it happened out of the blue on home soil.

It was horrendous, a horrible murder and a shocking incident on many levels, no doubt about that. Anchorman has explained the circumstances in his post, it makes more sense now. I'm sure you'd agree that dying in a horrific way isn't normally the precursor to having a flag with your name on it paraded round the ground.

It was horrendous, a horrible murder and a shocking incident on many levels, no doubt about that. Anchorman has explained the circumstances in his post, it makes more sense now. I'm sure you'd agree that dying in a horrific way isn't normally the precursor to having a flag with your name on it paraded round the ground.

Sky TV were showing the flag at Sheffield on the night in a positive light I believe. The family were alerted to it and it took off from there. When they asked for the flag I'm sure it was as a momento from what they took to be a lovely gesture, and that they would cherish it privately along with all of their other memories of the boy. I don't think they would even have envisaged that it would lead to a day at Ibrox with the flag making it's way round again. They appeared happy to do so.