UEFA Rankings: Rangers move UP 10 places?

I'm sure we were 88th last season, how come we moved up to 78th?

http://uk.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

I know UEFA's ranking system is confusing most of the time, but can someone explain why this has happened?

Possibly because the co-efficient is a 5 yr number, is it not ? If so, it may be the case that everyone around us is seeing higher numbers dropping off for the earliest year (5 yrs ago) whilst our number dropping off is smaller - and would also need for those teams around us to not have qualified for Europe too....

I readily admit to being too lazy to spend any real time looking into it :P

we were 92nd ranked but the 08/09 season in europe was a disaster for us m we only won 0.375 points and everyone close lost loads more , however the next 2 years see,s us losing 19 points and dropping like a stone

Maybe I'm mistaken, but doesn't Scotland's co-efficient is also in that mix? So inadvertently, the Yahoos might have done us a statistical favour.

I thought that too mate, when I saw Stoke City a place below us.

Should we hope tHey win it for the next 2 years and we could then get automatic qualification for finishing runners-up in the league?

Nah!

Edited by 54andcounting

Maybe I'm mistaken, but doesn't Scotland's co-efficient is also in that mix? So inadvertently, the Yahoos might have done us a statistical favour.

its absolutely negligible , any points a club earns is divided by the entire number of clubs participating from that particular country , so if they earn 3 points and we have 5 clubs each win equals 0.6 points

its absolutely negligible , any points a club earns is divided by the entire number of clubs participating from that particular country , so if they earn 3 points and we have 5 clubs each win equals 0.6 points

No doubt. The point is, what have the clubs and countries next to us on that scale have to show for their efforts?

I remember Hertha Berlin making an odd appearance in the early 2000s in the UEFA Cup and they suddenly showed up surprisingly high in said table. When they had played about half a handful of European games within the last two decades.

At the moment we are ranked 78th , the teams and countries Ranked from 62 and up are,

Besiktas -turkey ,Hamburg Germany, Brugge Belgium Hapoel Tel Aviv Israel ,Wolfsburg Germany.Panathanikos Greece, Newcastle England,Levante Spain,Salzburg Austria,Sparta Prague Czechoslovakia ,Paok Greece,Udinese Italy,Genk Belgium,Cluj Romania,Young boys Switzerland,Borussia Monchengladbach Germany , Rangers Scotland, and so it goes on teams around us are English ,Romanian, Spanish, Russian , czech ,Austrian , Portuguese , Polish .

And I guarentee you everyone will achieve a higher coeficient country average than we do not only because of their C/L teams but because their Europa league teams are stronger , its been happening for years , the secret of these coef aint the C/L its the points that can be picked up in the Europa league , however all our teams cant hack it

Well, yes, no doubt. Yet, it is a 5-year cycle for the teams as such and their countries. One would have to check which teams were actually besides us last time around. ... btw, it is IMHO utterly ridiculous to include the country's coefficient in this club list, one way or another.