I was wondering if any Gersnetters knew the name of Jum Spence's 'zine?

He founded and Edited it for several years and his current designation at BBC Scotland is as a direct result of this particular publication. It was a case of BBC Scotland wanting to be seen to embrace the new media.

I would like to peruse a copy/copies to how Jum referred to Rangers and Rangers supporters? Further, as Editor; what content was approved?

Also, according to 'soulfulsaint' on weareperth.co.uk:

The Final Hurdle was edited by Jim Spence now BBC Scotland. He had a long running fight with the Dundee chairman Ron Dixon, the Canadian millionaire, and siezed Jim's personal assets for remarks written in Final Hurdle. For many years Jim couldn't sell his house it was a frozen asset.

Apparently SoulfulSaint is a colleague of Spence... I wonder who... :whistle:

http://www.weareperth.co.uk/wapforum/index.php?/topic/6435-fanzines/page-2

Also, according to 'soulfulsaint' on weareperth.co.uk:

Apparently SoulfulSaint is a colleague of Spence... I wonder who... :whistle:

http://www.weareperth.co.uk/wapforum/index.php?/topic/6435-fanzines/page-2

I remember all those conversations with 'soulfulsaint' several years past reference his constant usage of the 'H' term. Further, he was a Director of BT(Scotland) at the time and his arse was making buttons because he had been caught. Fortunately, the Editor of that particular Soul Music forum deleted all Soulfulsaint's rabid rantings and allowed him plausible deniability.

I just find the whole anti-Rangers thing in the media to be so bizarre.

I've worked throughout Scotland, and always found that 'most' non OF fans hated both clubs equally, and if they preferred one of the sides, it was Rangers due to the Tim Irish thing. But within the media, and specifically, Spence and Cosgrove, these guys seem to hate Rangers more than they support their own sides.

WTF has gone on?

I just find the whole anti-Rangers thing in the media to be so bizarre.

I've worked throughout Scotland, and always found that 'most' non OF fans hated both clubs equally, and if they preferred one of the sides, it was Rangers due to the Tim Irish thing. But within the media, and specifically, Spence and Cosgrove, these guys seem to hate Rangers more than they support their own sides.

WTF has gone on?

Spence and Cosgrove may have their own cultural reasons for this.

The discussion on why so many other 'neutrals' have opted that way is a bigger conversation though. The Rangers Standard ran a few interesting articles on it last year. The 'no one likes us we don't care' attitude has not been a great help in the last few years. One of Burns most famous lines 'to see ourselves as others see us' has probably never been more important than now.

I think it's just a side-effect of 9IAR.

Many non-RFC fans hate us for our success during that period and when put alongside the kind of trash we read from Spiers et al, it makes us somewhat of a panto-villain. Unfortunately, there's nothing funny when it comes to Scottish Football nowadays.

Are Rangers fans so unaware of their image that they allow themselves to behave in a deplorable manner within their home-towns and cities throughout Scotland?

Just can't see it. What I do see is a concerted campaign by certain media pundits to paint Rangers fans in a bad light as often as possible. This has been going on for years IMO, hence why I stopped buying papers a long time ago.

Combination of factors, I think.

The decline of the fanbase across the whole game to the bedrock of nutters
    Access of said nutters to a mainstream media desperate to avoid dying off
    Traditional loathing of our success and subsequent arrogance, for which I don't apologise
    Societal change which refuses to accept 90 minute bigotry any more

It's the last which does us the most damage. I know that bigotry in society is a tiny issue for most folk, and that actual religion plays little or no role in it, but the perception of us through the songbook is awful (although it was certainly getting better). I know that it is weird that Rangers and only Rangers are ever highlighted for transgressing society's ever shifting boundaries, and that many doing the hounding are as guilty themselves, either now or in the past. It's also the one issue we can change easiest and quickest and leave our enemies little ammo with which to attack us.

As long as we maintain that the negative coverage we get is because of tims with typewriters it will continue. Sure that covers some of it, but society has moved on and some of us haven't. Result, negative coverage.

I think it's just a side-effect of 9IAR.

Many non-RFC fans hate us for our success during that period and when put alongside the kind of trash we read from Spiers et al, it makes us somewhat of a panto-villain. Unfortunately, there's nothing funny when it comes to Scottish Football nowadays.

I started working AFTER 9IAR, and most non OF fans were Rangers friendly. I am based in Glasgow nowadays so can't accurately gauge the opinion of east coasters, Highlanders now so things might've changed.