Le Guen: Rangers improving 'steadily'

Sorry guys,but i just don't know why Boyd gets so much stick, now all points considered of which there is a lot of valid complaints about Boyds' ALL ROUND GAME,but you know what you have in the man,HE SCORES GOALS,he is a young Scottish player with bags of potential and i think he is the least of our problems..............gee the big man a break ffs............

I think it is all down to us seeing things differently Ian,as has been said a lot on here lately. If Boyd scores a goal but we lose 2-1 because we are basically playing with ten men then his goal is pointless. Modern football has become so fast that you cannot play game after game with ten men.

The fact is his basic skill to stop a ball lies roughly at schoolboy level.

Yes he does score easily but how often have we leaked goals because the forwards can't keep possesion. You have to weigh the one up with the other and i think our point total gives the answer.

It will be interesting to see what he does in a 4-4-2.

Part of the problem is that some Bears still think we can afford huge transfer fees and wages.

"Lets drop McGregor/Hutton/Boyd as they're not good enough".

So who'll replace them?

"We'll sign someone better".

Those days are long over and besides, over the last few years the same Bears have been moaning their tits off about overpaid foreigners and how we should give some of our young lads a chance. Now that we are, they're still not happy.

Look at our back 4 and keeper, 3 young Scots players in it. Along with Adam, Boyd, Burke, that's many reasons to be excited about the Rangers team just now and to have great hopes for the future. I just wish we'd give them a break now and then.

I'm not sure it is though - it is too easy to say that the team is playing better because Boyd is out - Boyd's absence coincided with a change in formation - there is no saying that there is a correlation between the performances and Boyd being out - it just as easily, and probably more likely, is due to the change in formation.

The only time we will be able to tell is if, and when, PLG uses a 4-4-2 with Boyd in the line-up and we start to drop performance-wise again.

If Boyd was playing in a 4-4-2 there is no saying that we wouldn't have beaten Hibs 5-0 with Boyd getting 2 or beaten Celtic 3-1 with Boyd getting 2..... we won't know whether Boyd has a positive or negative impact until such time as he plays in the altered 4-4-2 formation.

This is getting pretty tedious now.

Our improved performance coincided with a few factors:

1) Change in formation, striker playing with a partner, more width and cover for the FB's.

2) Change in style of play, e.g pressing from the front.

3) The defence have been more settled recently

4) Svensson has adapted to the Scottish game more over recent games

5) Boyd has been injured.

There may be more.

However atm it is impossible to say which of these have had the greatest influence. If and when Boyd plays in a 4-4-2 we may have a greater idea.

So can people stop coming on and saying its all Boyd's fault we were playing badly, now he's out we're better. Becasue frankly that is shite, you cannot make and prove that point atm. :mad:

Part of the problem is that some Bears still think we can afford huge transfer fees and wages.

"Lets drop McGregor/Hutton/Boyd as they're not good enough".

So who'll replace them?

"We'll sign someone better".

Those days are long over and besides, over the last few years the same Bears have been moaning their tits off about overpaid foreigners and how we should give some of our young lads a chance. Now that we are, they're still not happy.

Look at our back 4 and keeper, 3 young Scots players in it. Along with Adam, Boyd, Burke, that's many reasons to be excited about the Rangers team just now and to have great hopes for the future. I just wish we'd give them a break now and then.

Agreed mate,some people moan about the lack of home grown talent coming from Murray park,now we have some guys coming through it's all thier fault,we can no longer afford big money signings so get used to it,let's support the young guys through rebuilding a team

This is getting pretty tedious now.

Our improved performance coincided with a few factors:

1) Change in formation, striker playing with a partner, more width and cover for the FB's.

2) Change in style of play, e.g pressing from the front.

3) The defence have been more settled recently

4) Svensson has adapted to the Scottish game more over recent games

5) Boyd has been injured.

There may be more.

However atm it is impossible to say which of these have had the greatest influence. If and when Boyd plays in a 4-4-2 we may have a greater idea.

So can people stop coming on and saying its all Boyd's fault we were playing badly, now he's out we're better. Becasue frankly that is shite, you cannot make and prove that point atm. :mad:

I have never said that Boyd is the cause of all our troubles he certainly isn't. Yes we would all love 11 Scots on the field but looking at it seriously the chance of that happening in the next 5 maybe 10 years is unlikely to say the least. Unless of course you want to go up to Montrose in the winter months.

I would love to see Boyd coming good believe me but i just can't see anyone who can't control a ball within 5 metres ever being a hit with a top club. As i said before he will be great in a dominant team that mostly play in the opposition half but when you need all hands on deck then he is worse than a man short.

I remember standing on the terraces with a 15.000 support in the 70's praying we would buy a foreigner because we were so poor so i don't want us going back down that road.

We need a striker that can score and also hold the ball up. That is just my opinion.That skill is born in a player you cannot coach him to do it. He will improve with coaching but not to the level Boyd needs to do.

Sorry my opinion i hope he proves me wrong.

Pete tho there has already been evidence of improved hold up play in some games by Boyd, so why not allow our only striker with a genuine goalscoring threat the same breathing space we allow others, while we see if PLG can develop this more.

Goalscoring is an inate ability, I however beleive hild up play can be taught.

Pete tho there has already been evidence of improved hold up play in some games by Boyd, so why not allow our only striker with a genuine goalscoring threat the same breathing space we allow others, while we see if PLG can develop this more.

Goalscoring is an inate ability, I however beleive hild up play can be taught.

I will say i hope Rangers can become so dominant that he can show his goalscoring skill week in week out then he will be my first pick. I do however disagree that you can still learn basic ball control skills at 20+. I also think we should not try and change the skill that he has but i only see him as a super sub for us.

I will say i hope Rangers can become so dominant that he can show his goalscoring skill week in week out then he will be my first pick. I do however disagree that you can still learn basic ball control skills at 20+. I also think we should not try and change the skill that he has but i only see him as a super sub for us.

I disagree with your analogy about not being able to be taught holding the ball up Pete. Touch is definitely something which can be taught even when a player is in the twilightof his career IF he is willing to be coached and taught new ways.

I would actually say that the bigger skill which can't be taught is the almost telepathic knack of being in the right place at the right time to score a goal - McCoist had it and Boyd seems to have it in abundance too.

I think Boyd has the one thing that can't be taught and has time on his side to be taught the thing that can be.

I think his hold up play is dreadful right now but can improve - however, having a striker that just instintively knows where to be and when is something that cannot be coached but that is the thing Boyd does have.

I disagree with your analogy about not being able to be taught holding the ball up Pete. Touch is definitely something which can be taught even when a player is in the twilightof his career IF he is willing to be coached and taught new ways.

I would actually say that the bigger skill which can't be taught is the almost telepathic knack of being in the right place at the right time to score a goal - McCoist had it and Boyd seems to have it in abundance too.

I think Boyd has the one thing that can't be taught and has time on his side to be taught the thing that can be.

I think his hold up play is dreadful right now but can improve - however, having a striker that just instintively knows where to be and when is something that cannot be coached but that is the thing Boyd does have.

sorry Craig i will have to agree to disagree on this one. A natural talent cannot be learned. One of those horrible singers in the first round of the X-factor cannot be taught to sing and someone who cannot kick a ball at 10 can't kick a ball at 20. Yes as i said they can improve but a natural talent is not something you can learn. Vinny Jones could never become Hendrick Larsson.