Appears to be our problem area, no?

:cb:

:rf::bm::jig::lw:

:ap::ib::nl::lm:

:al::jd:

That appears to be approximately our first XI at the moment.

Goalie is solid. Left back is one of our star men.

The CBs may be up for debate but they're comfortable enough for this season and we have decent enough options.

Law with Black in midfield are again decent enough even if Blacks absence has disrupted things. I wouldn't play McLeod as a LM but understand the manager wants to find space for him in the team.

Little will score goals and deserves to start with Daly who brings a physical presence and links play.

That right hand side though!

Foster does not seem as quick as he once was and is prone to defensive errors. Has he proved any more reliable than McAusland?

Peralta is no right mid and I struggle to see him getting a game in his reportedly favoured position of CM. who would come in for him?

Crawford was ok but didn't do enough for me in the wide right role considering the dominance in possession and territory we enjoy in games.

What would you do with our right flank?

I'd be tempted to go for McAusland behind Templeton. Or even Little back at right mid and try Templeton or Clark off Daly.

The lack of a decent right side is only amplified by Wallace on the left.

I think Little's effectiveness is lost when moved to wide right.

McAusland did well at right back in the first month of the season. I know many will say he is a centre back who can occasionally play centre midfield. Historically, Rangers have turned many centre backs into right backs ie George Young, Dave McPherson, Alan McLaren, Craig Moore, Alan Hutton, Basil Boli, ................................. etc; arguably with different levels of success. The other advantage of McAusland is increased height at the back post.

Right midfield is a real concern. I thought Crawford ploughed the furrow in the first month pretty effectively, although he is NOT a wide player. Templeton would be a better option than Peralta. Barrie McKay is another option, but we would have to persevere.

I suspect Lewis MacLeod will end up in the position since Law and Black are the preferred central midfielders. Although, again MacLeod is not a wide player. He is a very good player and will cope better than Peralta.

What's Trevor Steven doing these days?

McAusland seems to getter better with every game he doesn't play.

Seems to be getting the "Perry treatment" - who was getting talked up when he first broke through as some sort of world beater.

I said at the time when Faure got moved to the right and Jig returned to centre back that McAuslands performances were overstated. He has, however, been no worse than any if the other options and may prove the long term option. Seeing as h appears no worse than the experienced picks I say get him in now. He's not fantastic but he's as good as any other option with likely greater potential to develop further.

I said at the time when Faure got moved to the right and Jig returned to centre back that McAuslands performances were overstated. He has, however, been no worse than any if the other options and may prove the long term option. Seeing as h appears no worse than the experienced picks I say get him in now. He's not fantastic but he's as good as any other option with likely greater potential to develop further.

I agree with he is the most likely to improve.

But I have had a bit of a soft spot for Ricky Foster since his performance against Valencia (miss apart) so with that in mind I would stick with the winning team.

Guest Belt & Braces

I think we can forget '' Flanks '' when playing away from home as the pitches are too small.

To be fair to Ally, he's trying to address this problem with the 4-1-3-2 formation we've adopted from the start of this season.

Because our opponents flood the midfield and play a game of hack the Ger, it makes it difficult for guys like Templeton to shine, as the pitch is too narrow, the park is flooded and he's getting booted up and down the park, a lot like his former Hearts team mate Black. I know we'd all like to think we can put the ball on the deck anywhere any time and play a good game but our playmakers like to run with the ball or run into space, and that is hard to do on these pitches.

I doubt our wide players in Peralta and MacLeod are being asked to perform the chalk on heels role, although from what I've seen when we are both in and out of possession they are simply there to provide a wide option and encourage an overlap. They can also put in a very good defensive shift when required. I believe this is why Ally is opting for them over his more natural wide men, because our natural guys , although being quick and good with the ball, they are very light weight and easily bossed from possession. We seen this countless times last season.

I reckon this is why Wallace is shinning, because he knows if he charges forward, MacLeod can put in a tackle, as can Peralta. When our wide-men receive the ball, they naturally come inside to the midfield. Even though this is their natural instinct as a central mid, it also plays into our hands, because it bottlenecks the middle of the park and draw their markers inside with them, allowing our wingbacks to charge up and provide the width.

So what does this formation look like ? very simple actually and it moves like a machine, ( hence its complete and utter lack of soul ) but its effective, as our 8 games 8 wins shows.

The middle of the park, which was our weak spot last year has been rebooted with a personnel that can best be described as ( tenacious ) which is exactly what you need when you have 5 to 7 midfielders swamping the middle of the pitch and cracking your shins.

4 - 1 -3 -2

when in possession our two widemen come inside and black steps into the gap left by Law who charges forward. depending on the space available and the options Law picks when between the centre circle and 18 yard box, our wingbacks can either push into midfield to help our central 3, or push forward and provide Law with a wide option which then gives daly and little some service.

Should we lose the ball, then its no problem, Law and black fall back into their positions, the wingbacks fall back and peralta and MacLeod push back out to the sides.

It's a very simple solution to a difficult problem and although it isn't pretty to watch, its effective and it brings points.

so 4-1-3-2 quickly turns into 2-3-3-2 . This means that when attacking or defending, we will always have 6 to 7 players in the midfield going toe to toe with their 6 to 7 players which is all they can realistically provide without sabotaging their own tactics.

All this being said however,

When we are playing on the glorious pitch at Ibrox, we should be looking to run the legs off our opponents and use our natural wingers to run free down the wings and into space. McKay and Templeton should be given all the supply and support they need to tare our opposition a all sorts of new and interesting holes.

So I don't see our flanks as being a problem.

I think we can forget '' Flanks '' when playing away from home as the pitches are too small.

To be fair to Ally, he's trying to address this problem with the 4-1-3-2 formation we've adopted from the start of this season.

Because our opponents flood the midfield and play a game of hack the Ger, it makes it difficult for guys like Templeton to shine, as the pitch is too narrow, the park is flooded and he's getting booted up and down the park, a lot like his former Hearts team mate Black. I know we'd all like to think we can put the ball on the deck anywhere any time and play a good game but our playmakers like to run with the ball or run into space, and that is hard to do on these pitches.

I doubt our wide players in Peralta and MacLeod are being asked to perform the chalk on heels role, although from what I've seen when we are both in and out of possession they are simply there to provide a wide option and encourage an overlap. They can also put in a very good defensive shift when required. I believe this is why Ally is opting for them over his more natural wide men, because our natural guys , although being quick and good with the ball, they are very light weight and easily bossed from possession. We seen this countless times last season.

I reckon this is why Wallace is shinning, because he knows if he charges forward, MacLeod can put in a tackle, as can Peralta. When our wide-men receive the ball, they naturally come inside to the midfield. Even though this is their natural instinct as a central mid, it also plays into our hands, because it bottlenecks the middle of the park and draw their markers inside with them, allowing our wingbacks to charge up and provide the width.

So what does this formation look like ? very simple actually and it moves like a machine, ( hence its complete and utter lack of soul ) but its effective, as our 8 games 8 wins shows.

The middle of the park, which was our weak spot last year has been rebooted with a personnel that can best be described as ( tenacious ) which is exactly what you need when you have 5 to 7 midfielders swamping the middle of the pitch and cracking your shins.

4 - 1 -3 -2

when in possession our two widemen come inside and black steps into the gap left by Law who charges forward. depending on the space available and the options Law picks when between the centre circle and 18 yard box, our wingbacks can either push into midfield to help our central 3, or push forward and provide Law with a wide option which then gives daly and little some service.

Should we lose the ball, then its no problem, Law and black fall back into their positions, the wingbacks fall back and peralta and MacLeod push back out to the sides.

It's a very simple solution to a difficult problem and although it isn't pretty to watch, its effective and it brings points.

so 4-1-3-2 quickly turns into 2-3-3-2 . This means that when attacking or defending, we will always have 6 to 7 players in the midfield going toe to toe with their 6 to 7 players which is all they can realistically provide without sabotaging their own tactics.

All this being said however,

When we are playing on the glorious pitch at Ibrox, we should be looking to run the legs off our opponents and use our natural wingers to run free down the wings and into space. McKay and Templeton should be given all the supply and support they need to tare our opposition a all sorts of new and interesting holes.

So I don't see our flanks as being a problem.

Very good post :)