When the cracks open, the light gets in.

NO one likes admitting they are lost. We’ve all took a punt at a crossroads and ploughed on, only to have that growing gnawing feeling we’re going further in the wrong direction.

When you start seeing cows rather than buildings it finally dawns on you there’s nothing else for it, you’ll need to go back.

Turning round is sore for the ego – but a far better option than charging on into the wilderness.

Let’s face it, this new-but-really-the-same Scottish football set-up is heading in the wrong direction.

We need to go back.

I know the idea of going back to reconstruction talks is about as appetising as a roll ‘n’ cowpat but whether we like it or not we have to take another bite.

It’s just isn’t working.

The Premiership is all over before Halloween. Talk about scary. We might as well hold the

end-of-season dance this weekend.

The title race is over. Not that it ever really started. Same in League One. Relegation is pretty much a done deal in the top division as well. Even Hearts fans know they have more important battles to win.

All that’s left is heavily-weighted relegation play-offs and the scrap to see what teams get to start pre-season the earliest to prepare for a European tie in deepest darkest Belarus.

Not great is it? And we can’t say it hasn’t gone unnoticed. The Christmas decorations will be getting dug out soon and we still don’t have a title sponsor.

Big companies won’t touch our game with a bargepole. They’re not interested and it won’t be long before everyone else feels the same.

The one positive from those endless meetings in the last 18 months is we have one body in charge. It’s as easy to change the format of our leagues now as it is to change the curtains at Hampden, so let’s just do it.

Fans have constantly been told we can’t afford a bigger top flight but wait and see, it won’t be long before we’re told we can’t afford not to have one.

It doesn’t take the gift of second sight to see what’s around the corner. Scottish football is heading back down the rabbit hole. Next season we are likely to have a First Division – or Championship in new money – that includes Rangers and Hearts.

Dunfermline could be in there too as well as St Mirren or Kilmarnock.

Chuck in Falkirk, Hamilton, Dundee and others and it’s going to look like a mirror image of the division above.

There will be weekends when attendances in the second tier outnumber the first, which would be bonkers.

Scottish football will never have a better chance to have a bash at a bigger top flight again.

So let’s just go for it. Ram the top two divisions together and do the same with the bottom two. Have a top 20 and bottom 22.

Can’t hurt to have a go.

I’d bet there would be a queue of sponsors who put down the bargepoles and get all touchy-feely.

The Old Firm would be back. We’d have derbies in Edinburgh, Dundee, Fife and the Highlands. A 38-game campaign and freedom to play without constant fear of the drop, no split and a proper spread of money.

Tempting, isn’t it?

Ah, but... of course there’s a but.

The undoubted howls of protest. It’s a leg-up for Rangers and a bailout for Hearts, they’ll say.

Well, they’ll need to grow up. Rangers have had two years on the naughty step. It’s time to let them back in.

If we need to wallop Hearts further to appease the rest then we can take more points off them next year too if need be.

But what would be the point? There’s been enough self-harm in Scotland. There’s time to mend wounds and patch up the product. We’re all in this together.

We need to turn round before it’s too late to find our way back.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michael-gannon-scottish-football-never-2659293

Guest Night Owl

Nahhhh,

Think I'll just stick to the leisurely pace and sight seeing if you don't mind.

Got a brand new cup to add to our collection and many more places to visit.

Wish you were here ,

Rangers :thup:

Far too much common sense in that article, it wasn't until I scrolled to the bottom I realised it was from the Record and not an article by Chilledbear which I thought it was until the end

Can't believe the Record actually talking sense for once.

I think you mentioned in a thread in football chat about how next season would be similar to playing in the bottom half of the SPL. I fully agree with this and have said it for years that there is nothing between teams like Falkirk and Dundee compared to St Mirren and St Johnstone. So the bigger SPL would be more competitive.

Can understand wishing to say F--- OFF.

To my way of thinking, the longer it takes before we are challenging celtc, the better it is for them and the harder it's going to be for us.

Though 20 and 22 might not be the ideal figures, something along these lines could be worth considering.

I'll now wait for the incoming. :)

Some merit in that last point Waltersgotstyle that I hadn't thought of before.

Would maybe be a bit like when the 5-nations expanded to 6. Year by year Italy improved and became more competitive. Even if they are routinely in the bottom two they dont disgrace themselves like people may have thought and have achieved victories against most teams (barring England? who they have run close on a couple of occasions).

It wouldnt happen overnight but these lesser teams who would probably have been getting spanked off us and them would become as "competitive" as the other dross at the foot of the SPL.