McMurdo says McColl had given up....

November 30, 2013

A Good Day For The Rangers

As I predicted in yesterday’s blog, it looks like Requisitioner kingpin Jim McColl has called time on the bid to grab power at Rangers.

McColl has business interests of his own to address and word on the street is that certain of his own investors were irked by his involvement in the Ibrox boardroom saga.

I have opposed Jim McColl’s involvement at Ibrox because he is a prominent separatist and I am one of those who still see Rangers as a Unionist club. Politics aside, no-one is doubting that McColl may have had something to offer on a purely business level but his unwillingness or inability to purchase a meaningful share position didn’t do his cause much good.

It frankly didn’t help that he backed the two Murrays to get back into director blazers either. The Jack and Victor of the Rangers support have not done themselves any favours, either, particularly with their “Still Gamey” SOS video that has become a YouTube comedy classic.

The Requisitioners can claim that their agitation of the board forced the changes and the appointment of the new impressive directors but the reality is that these kind of appointments were always on the cards anyway.

McColl’s departure leaves Paul Murray as the accepted head of the Requisitioner side and this makes Murray’s task all the more difficult. McColl’s status as a near-billionaire lent gravitas to the Requisitioner cause, especially with the inference that he may actually invest at some point to keep the hopes of the rebels up.

Those hopes are now dashed and McColl’s exit stage left has left his team without its big gun.

The Rangers board can now look forward to a steamroller victory at the AGM and, more importantly, the prospect beyond it of planning a bright future with a solid, unified board.

That board should include Brian Stockbridge in my opinion and I know he has the confidence of his colleagues and important investors.

A battling performance in the Scottish Cup today by Ally McCoist’s men ensured that Rangers’ interest in the tournament will continue beyond this round.

Rangers didn’t look like they had much penetration up front today against Falkirk but their relentless pressure brought eventual joy late on with two good goals.

It’s actually good to see Rangers scoring late in games because it demonstrates the team has a relentless approach which successful teams all possess.

Templeton’s quality was on display once more today and his importance to this team is evident.

A lot of Rangers fans are still disgruntled about the way the team is playing and question marks still hang over Ally McCoist’s managerial ability.

What cannot be questioned is the highly impressive run of victories McCoist has put together, both in league and cup competitions.

Whilst Coisty bristled at Charles Green’s early-season demands of the League One title AND a cup this campaign, he is very much on course to delivering on those demands.

Maybe Big Chuck could come back in a coaching, mentoring and motivational role for Super and his team?

Edited by Zappa

McMurdo is really scraping the barrel with this non story. McColl made his position very clear from the start, he is not interested on taking over, he does not wish a place on the board, he was acting as coordinator for the requisitioners. McMurdo has sold his soul to the devil(toxic Jack), man is a fool.

McMurdo is really scraping the barrel with this non story. McColl made his position very clear from the start, he is not interested on taking over, he does not wish a place on the board, he was acting as coordinator for the requisitioners. McMurdo has sold his soul to the devil(toxic Jack), man is a fool.

i'm not against McColl in any way but let's face it his 'requisitioners' haven't a prayer at the AGM have they ? if McColl(or Dave King too for that matter) really wanted to gain control then they'd have purchased sizeable amounts of shares by now. If my reckoning is correct Laxey bought 5% for £1.5m with the shares around 45p each. Couldn't McColl or King have done that periodically over these last few weeks/months ? Then they'd more or less be guaranteed to win the AGM but instead all they've been doing is lobbying institutional shareholders most of whom look like backing the current board.

The papers seem to show that Merlin was right - he obviously had an early tip off from his toxic owner - I am very disappointed in McColl. I know he hasn't really changed his stance in some ways but to say his involvement is over is a horrific blow ahead of the AGM. That's something he surely could have thought of - the propaganda he's given to those who are in it only for lining their own pockets are happy bunnies this morning. Also McColl seems to me to be walking away in the middle of a boxing bout, claiming he's won but his opponent is the only man standing in the ring. And laughing at him - and therefore us.

This is what angers me.

''I have opposed Jim McColl’s involvement at Ibrox because he is a prominent separatist and I am one of those who still see Rangers as a Unionist club.''

Over my years of supporting the Gers, I have known Communists, Trade Unionists, Scottish Nationalists and Right Wing Bigots all good Rangers Supporters whatever their personal or political leanings.

Since when did politics determine whether you were a Rangers Supporter or could be involved with Rangers, have we learned nothing from the past.