Celtic have won the race to sign Scotland defender Steven Pressley, who had also undergone a medical with Premiership side Charlton.

The former Hearts captain, 33, will be unveiled by the Scottish champions at a Friday afternoon media conference.

Pressley's agent, Blair Morgan, told BBC Sport: "It was a really, really difficult decision.

"He had two fantastic offers from two good clubs, but the lure of European football next season won the day."

Pressley had held talks with new Charlton manager Alan Pardew on Thursday.

But Celtic's need for defensive cover had become more pressing with this week's confirmation that Bobo Balde had suffered a broken leg.

And it was Gordon Strachan who won the signature of a player who had also been linked with Southampton, Derby and Leeds. What I like about him is he is a leader

Charlton manager Alan Pardew

"Charlton were really brilliant," said Morgan.

"They are nice people and a good team who I think will get themselves clear of their present relegation trouble."

Scotland international Pressley is a free agent after leaving Hearts earlier this month following his criticism of majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov.

Pressley also claimed there was "dressing-room unrest" at the Scottish Premier League club.

Pardew, who replaced Les Reed as manager of Charlton on Christmas Eve, had thought there was a "good chance" he could win Pressley's signature but realised there was severe comptition.

"What I like about him is he is a leader," the Charlton manager had said.

"I think we have got some very good centre-halves here, but he comes into a pack where we need characters and leadership and that is one thing that attracts me to him."

Pressley is ineligible to play for any new employer before the opening of the transfer window in January.

He is also ineligible for Celtic's Champions League campaign this term, having been cup-tied with Hearts.

I thought he would go to Charlton after his medical. He is a player i think we should have pulled out all the stops for. That toughens up Celtics average defence by a mile.

I thought he would go to Charlton after his medical. He is a player i think we should have pulled out all the stops for. That toughens up Celtics average defence by a mile.

I'm gutted we weren't in for him, short term or not, he would have helped shore up our defence. Unfortunately a lot of Bears seem to think the realistic alternatives to Pressley are players like John Terry.

Oh well. I truly hope Le Guen and Murray have an ace up their collective sleeves as Pressley represents the type of player we need right now and now he's joined 'them'. There aren't many of his type around (whether you like him or not), and even fewer of them are available at a price we can afford.

Celtic claim to have the best youth system in Scotland but over the years they have signed far more ex-Rangers players than we have players from them. That used to be religeous based but not anymore.

Well done to Steven Pressley on making such a brave decision. He went there because he wants to win trophey's. I am sure he probably has a league winners meddle with Rangers while hardly playing a game, now he will get one with the tims for doing hee haw. His grandchildren can be proud of him.

Oh well. I truly hope Le Guen and Murray have an ace up their collective sleeves as Pressley represents the type of player we need right now and now he's joined 'them'. There aren't many of his type around (whether you like him or not), and even fewer of them are available at a price we can afford.

There aren't many CB' that slow? :confused: