When we had Tugay I knew he was a pretty good player and was capable of something a bit extra but he wasn't in most peoples starting XI at the time as we had Albertz, Van Bronckhurst, Ferguson, Reyna, De Boer and McCann all at their peak.

But I usually click onto Skysports video website and watch that Paul Merson program where he has players and ex players on giving their all time I-XI of the players they have played with. Tugay is getting into teams quite regularly and players cant speak highly enough of him saying he was a genius. Dean Saunders was the latest this week and said he should have been playing for 1 of the big 4. Tugay has been mentioned in 3 teams in the last 2 months.

Why did we sell him in the end? IIRC he wasn't one of the players who wanted to leave. I recall Reyna and Gio wanting to play at a higher level but not Tugay. Seems we had another World Class player on our books.

When we had Tugay I knew he was a pretty good player and was capable of something a bit extra but he wasn't in most peoples starting XI at the time as we had Albertz, Van Bronckhurst, Ferguson, Reyna, De Boer and McCann all at their peak.

But I usually click onto Skysports video website and watch that Paul Merson program where he has players and ex players on giving their all time I-XI of the players they have played with. Tugay is getting into teams quite regularly and players cant speak highly enough of him saying he was a genius. Dean Saunders was the latest this week and said he should have been playing for 1 of the big 4. Tugay has been mentioned in 3 teams in the last 2 months.

Why did we sell him in the end? IIRC he wasn't one of the players who wanted to leave. I recall Reyna and Gio wanting to play at a higher level but not Tugay. Seems we had another World Class player on our books.

As far as I recall he was simply a bit of a round peg in a square hole at Ibrox - a great player on his game, but maybe lacked the toughness needed for the game in Scotland. He certainly flowered when he moved to the English game and was allowed to show what he could do in midfield. He reminded me in some ways of Le Tissier at Southampton - some guys need to be a big fish in a small pond before they can deliver their best. I don't think he regarded us as a stepping stone when he arrived, but things just didn't work out for him in the team of that time.

i thought Tugay was great, I remember an excrutiting defeat from them when the highlight of the day at Ibrox was Tugay warming up as a sub.

As I recall it, Advocaat insisted on playing him out of position at right back (starting a tradition that haunts us to this day!) and then dropped him for not defending like the full back he never was!

i thought Tugay was great, I remember an excrutiting defeat from them when the highlight of the day at Ibrox was Tugay warming up as a sub.

As I recall it, Advocaat insisted on playing him out of position at right back (starting a tradition that haunts us to this day!) and then dropped him for not defending like the full back he never was!

Did he not do that with that young Italian fella Gattuso? Whatever happened to him?

Did he not do that with that young Italian fella Gattuso? Whatever happened to him?

indeed he did. nothing like repeating a mistake. maybe I'm being unfair, perhaps confusing the two a bit. Tugay was not played properly imo, however; I don't think Advocaat fancied him at all

Edited by SteveC

Midfielders with 10 or more appearances in 2000-2001 season:

[table=width: 600, class: grid, align: left]

[tr]

[td]No[/td] [td]Player Name[/td] [td]App[/td] [td]Gls[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]6[/td]

[td]Barry Ferguson[/td]

[td]47[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]17[/td]

[td]Tugay Kerimoğlu [/td]

[td]38[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]18[/td]

[td]Neil McCann[/td]

[td]35[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]11[/td]

[td]Jörg Albertz[/td]

[td]34[/td]

[td]15[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]12[/td]

[td]Claudio Reyna[/td]

[td]31[/td]

[td]2[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]14[/td]

[td]Ronald de Boer[/td]

[td]26[/td]

[td]7[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]24[/td]

[td]Allan Johnston[/td]

[td]25[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]8[/td]

[td]Giovanni van Bronckhorst[/td]

[td]19[/td]

[td]6[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]7[/td]

[td]Andrei Kanchelskis[/td]

[td]14[/td]

[td]3[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]26[/td]

[td]Peter Løvenkrands[/td]

[td]10[/td]

[td]0[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

That's a lot of competition he had there and yet still made the second most appearances. I think the reason he was sold the following season mainly came down to overspending (£30,900,000) in this one.

Tugay wasn't anywhere near world class but he was a quality player. He's one of the few players that have played in the SPL to amount to anything elsewhere.

The fact he was still a regular in the Premiership at near 40 speaks volumes, plus has 94 caps for Turkey who generally have a decent squad to pick from.