Victor Valde says the best atmosphere he's ever played in was at Ibrox

Barcelona keeper Victor Valde says the best atmosphere he's ever played in was at Ibrox.. and it's noisier than Parkhead

11 Jan 2014 00:01

NOU Camp No.1 has played five times at Celtic Park but his standout memory of Glasgow’s football fans came during a clash against Rangers in 2007.

BARCELONA keeper Victor Valdes has credited Rangers fans with creating the best atmosphere he has ever experienced.

The Nou Camp No.1 is set to spark an Old Firm debate after claiming Ibrox is noisier than Parkhead on European nights.

Valdes has played five times at Celtic Park since 2004 but his standout memory of Glasgow’s football fans came after his side’s goalless draw in Govan in 2007.

Lionel Messi infamously rounded on Rangers after that match for playing “anti-football” but Valdes had only praise for the Light Blues legions.

The keeper was asked on Barcelona TV about the best atmosphere he had played in and the interviewer teased: “Are you going to say Celtic like every other Barcelona player?”

But the Spanish star said: “Celtic create a great atmosphere home and away but I still think the most intimidating stadium I have played in was when we played Rangers.

“There must be something about the city of Glasgow because they made so much noise. Normally as a goalkeeper you block out the noise of the fans but the noise they made that night was impossible to ignore.

“We had Henry, Ronaldinho, and Messi playing for us and I can’t think of another occasion when those three were on the same field and we didn’t score.

“Rangers fought like warriors that evening and I am sure a big part of their performance was down to the fans and the atmosphere they create for their players.”

Messi was less impressed and rounded on the tactics that brought Rangers success in Europe in Walter Smith’s second spell in charge.

Messi said: “Rangers didn’t want to play football. Right from the start they went for anti-football and I’m left with a bitter taste in the mouth at not having been able to win the match because we had a decent number of chances.”

Messi’s words contrasted with those of Arsenal legend Henry who said of Ibrox: “I know the atmosphere that’s generated here and that makes it tough for any team. I thought the fans were unbelievable again.

“They were not swearing or shouting stupid things, they pushed their team forward and that’s great to see.”

Leading footballers have regularly praised the atmosphere created inside the Glasgow grounds. Below we record the best from both sides.

Oh how I hope that we get back to playing these sides and try and compete with them.

Sadly, I fear we will be so weakened by past events, and with the continuing great financial performance of Celtic and the Sky/BT money continuing to flow into the coffers of the English clubs, that if we ever do get to the CL again, we'll be the whipping boys of the group.

Always nice to read players talk positively of the atmosphere at Ibrox and Glasgow in general. I often wonder why that is and the only logical conclusion I can come to is that we are slightly mental.

Sadly, I fear we will be so weakened by past events, and with the continuing great financial performance of Celtic ...

Where does that myth come from? In a year without European football and despite 7 Old Firm games, they made a pre-tax profit of 180k (don't know the exact year, must have been 2010 I guess). The Yahoos have been lucky all along with (English & Russian) clubs paying utterly silly money for their "star" players, Ki, O'Gheady and all. They also sold Hooper for an assumed 4.5m (after buying him for 2.4m (plus wages)). Where they did do well was last season in the CL. And there it stops. Rest assured, had they not had their European money, there would be gloom and doom oozing out of the Scumhut as well. We'll see how their "earlier" exit from Europe and the dwindling crowds affect this year's results. Mind you, they are so properous that they will close parts of the Scumhut for the visit of Aberdeen (currently second in the table!).

Yes, they've been 'lucky' that their miserly ways have been rewarded by large windfalls for their 'Stars' and they've made the CL proper the past 2 seasons which in turn adds 30% onto their typical turnover.

I must say that I've failed to notice them splashing their profits about by investing in players or facilities.

Yes, they've been 'lucky' that their miserly ways have been rewarded by large windfalls for their 'Stars' and they've made the CL proper the past 2 seasons which in turn adds 30% onto their typical turnover.

Whilst nobody can disagree with the general point you are making there, you seem quite passionate about this?

The bashing comments from Messi weren't really relevant or necessary and were first aimed at Celtic.

what were the other comments referenced in the last line?

In fairness, we played the most negative football ever, particularly in that season in Europe.

It is excusable against Barca in the champions league as pretty much everyone bar Bayern Munich will try similar. When we went with 5 at the back in the SPL (certainly played it v Celtic at Parkhead in a game where we never got near their half) though I wanted to gouge my eyes out.

I must say that I've failed to notice them splashing their profits about by investing in players or facilities.

How could they? They have had 30odd first team footballers on their books for the best part of the last 5 years ... and I mean real first team players, not a flock of youngsters thrown in. Their current squad stands at 32 players, with only a handful of youngsters listed.

Hehe, was just checking their wiki page to look up their current players and noted that (surely only recently added) line "and has never been relegated to a lower division." Alas, we also have never been "relegated" to a lower divison, not that those bampots will notice that.