RANGERS have been awarded the maximum six-star status by the SFA in their 2013/14 Club Academy Scotland audit.

The annual review has reaffirmed the Light Blues as a leading force in this country when it comes to laying a platform for the development of emerging talent.

A performance-based youth programme, teams participating in Club Academy Scotland are given a rating after they are rigorously assessed on various criteria.

These include aspects such as academy plans, coaching curriculums and staff qualifications in coaching, medical and sports science.

It also takes into account scouting procedures and administration and Gers are one of only two clubs to have been given the highest possible grade.

The audit was conducted by the association’s Club Licensing Department using a rating programme compiled by its Performance Department.

An accompanying grant is issued which corresponds with a club’s rating, meaning Gers will be given the highest possible amount as they seek to go from strength to strength.

It has been a terrific season for Rangers at youth level so far this season, with Gordon Durie’s under-20s competing well as they continue bidding for a league and Youth Cup double.

And as the club strives to keep producing exciting new players, Director of Youth Development Jim Sinclair is happy with what’s being achieved.

He said: “We’re delighted to have achieved six-star status and it’s a great compliment to the standards we set.

“Across all our disciplines, whether part-time or full-time and in coaching, sports science or something else, it’s a great pat on the back to our staff for the work they do.

“A number of factors were considered when the audit took place and having a facility such as Murray Park can only be a good thing in that respect.

“Having this status certainly won’t do us any harm. It’s nice to be recognised as being there as the best in the country.

“After everything which has happened at the club in the last couple of years, it’s good that people get a reminder of that.

“We’re making good progress with our youngsters and we’re confident there are a lot of young players in our system who will benefit from the environment here at the club.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/item/6344-six-star-status-for-gers

Rangers kid on Luca-out for top-team spot

LUCA GASPAROTTO hopes Rangers claim the League One crown as soon as possible - to give him a chance of first-team football before the end of the season.

The Canadian kid has been tipped for a bright future at Ibrox, but has struggled to make the breakthrough into Ally McCoist's plans in recent months as the club have raced clear at the top of the table.

Captain Lee McCulloch and summer signing Bilel Mohsni have formed a solid partnership at the heart of the Light Blues rearguard and will lift the title in a matter of weeks as the Gers storm towards two-in-a-row.

McCoist could rotate his squad once the silverware is in the Ibrox trophy cabinet and Gasparotto, who will turn out for Gordon Durie's Under-20 side in their Scottish Cup tie with Dunfermline this weekend, Sun 23 Dunfermline Ibrox 13:00 SFA Youth Cup, is eager to show what he can do following a loan stint at Stirling Albion earlier in the campaign.

He said: "The same happened last season, when me, Andy Murdoch and Danny Stoney all got a chance.

"I'm hoping the same thing happens this year, that the gaffer can throw in some of the young boys to get experience. I went on loan earlier in the season to get some experience, which was really good for me.

"It gave me a taste of what it's like to play first-team football. Even although it was the lower league, it was against more experienced players and helped me develop as a player.

"Hopefully the gaffer can get some of us young boys in. We've been working hard with Dukey, who's done a great job."

With McCulloch and Mohsni both suspended for Saturday's victory over Ayr United, many Gers fans had hoped to see Gasparotto in action at Somerset Park.

The defender was overlooked, however, with Emilson Cribari and Seb Faure filling in at centre-back.

Gasparotto's chance is likely to arrive before the end of the campaign and the Murray Park kid is determined to use his latest setback as motivation.

He said: "It's always nice to be in the manager's thoughts. I was disappointed not to get into the squad, but I'm delighted for Craig Halkett, who's been playing really well for the Under-20s and deserves a chance, along with all the young boys I've been playing with.

"We've all been playing really well and it's great for them to get in the squad and on the bench. I'm just going to keep working hard and hopefully the chance will come round again.

"There's always a chance (to break through), with injuries and suspensions. You just have to keep working hard and waiting for that chance.

"When it does, you have to grab it and hold on to it. I was disappointed not to get into the squad, but I know it won't be the last chance.

"At the end of last season there were injuries and I got in; I even got a start. I'm disappointed but it's not the end of the world. I'm just going to keep working hard and wait for another chance to come along."

While Gasparotto has had to be patient and wait for his chance to shine at Ibrox, he has seen Murray Park peers Lewis Macleod and Fraser Aird make the most of their big breaks.

The duo have turned in a number of impressive performances for McCoist's side this term and the defender admits they are the ones to look up to.

Gasparotto said: "All the young boys know that it's round the corner. Lewis and Fraser have been doing really well. I'm delighted for them and hopefully some more young boys can follow in their footsteps in the coming years."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/rangers-kid-on-luca-out-for-top-team-spot-152682n.23475497

Charlie's sights on Rangers first-team debut

CHARLIE TELFER is confident he can realise his Rangers dream - thanks to the help of the current Ibrox stars.

The midfielder is one of a crop of budding Light Blues aiming to make the breakthrough into Ally McCoist's first team this season and is set to be part of the Gers' Under-20 side that will face Dunfermline on Scottish Cup duty this weekend.

The Ibrox clash will give Telfer a rare taste of action on the hallowed turf where he one day hopes to play on a regular basis.

And the lifelong Rangers fan is delighted to have some of McCoist's stars on hand for advice as he attempts to rise through the ranks.

He said: "I've been on the bench for the first team a few times and I train with them all the time.

"It would be brilliant to actually make my debut because I've been a fan since I was nine.

"I had a season ticket up on the Club Deck. It was always my dream to play for Rangers.

"My mum, dad, sister and granny all come through for the games - and my girlfriend when she can.

"Lee McCulloch is very helpful, he's always around to speak to you.

"Ricky Foster is another one who takes you aside and tells you things to add to your game, which is always positive.

"There are all very positive with you. Lee Wallace is another guy who tries to coach you through games and you learn from that."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/charlies-sights-on-rangers-first-team-debut-152626n.23471321