Most managers have awful cup records littered with dismal unexpected failures. It's just the nature of such tournaments. You could argue that keeky teeth has a worse cup record given the respective situations/resources. Saying that, some of those games were absolute torture.

Most managers have awful cup records littered with dismal unexpected failures. It's just the nature of such tournaments. You could argue that keeky teeth has a worse cup record given the respective situations/resources. Saying that, some of those games were absolute torture.

I would humbly suggest that Ally's dismal cup record is something equivalent to the shocks you'd expect at Rangers over half a century, not three years. (Granted, of course, the three years are exceptional for other, even worse, reasons)

Edited by SteveC

You are right SteveC your stats. do make grim reading. While I have reservations over Ally's capabilities as a team manager, in at least some of the games that you have listed, the poor results were down to bad mistakes by the players on the park.

The second half tactics in Maribor after he had to take off Naismith at half time were a disgrace. (As were the team who trooped off the pitch at the end heads down without even acknowledging the fans who had had one of the most difficult journeys across Europe to get there.) We had them on the run and were comfortable 1-0 up at half time but gave away the initiative in the second half and were eventually overrun.

And Bougherra should never have played in Malmo.

You are right SteveC your stats. do make grim reading. While I have reservations over Ally's capabilities as a team manager, in at least some of the games that you have listed, the poor results were down to bad mistakes by the players on the park.

Just to clarify, I was posting a piece from yesterday's Telegraph newspaper. I put the link on the top of my post but perhaps should have made that clearer