Walter and Ally take over

Personally I feel the days when Rangers fans are happy with winning the league and cup are gone. We should be wanting to challenege in europe after xmas and with the appointment of Smith I feel this will never happen.

I disagree Gav. Had it not been for our 2 last day triumphs with AM at the helm then Celtic would be staring down the barrel of 8 in a row.

Now, we know it never happened but, at least for me, the fact remains that this would have been incomprehensible as a Rangers fan. I will take the domestic dominance with a few good European runs in between rather than a couple of decent European runs but being nothing but also-rans in the SPL

Don't know yet whether the deal for Walter and Ally is done and dusted, but Craig Brown had an intriguing contender for the position in mind -

Former Scotland manager Craig Brown believes Smith and Ally McCoist - also tipped for a return to Ibrox - are capable of reviving Rangers, and keeping their jobs with the national team.

Brown told BBC Radio Five Live: "The chairman is very, very close to Walter Smith and Ally McCoist and they would make an excellent appointment in my opinion.

"There would have to be a compromise if Walter was going there.

"There is a possibility in the short term of him doing both jobs, there's been a precedent for that.

"Guus Hiddink was PSV manager and also managed Australia and Mark Hughes for a time did both jobs (Wales and Blackburn).

"It is far from ideal but you could imagine it being a short-term solution."

Brown suggested that Italy's World Cup winning coach Marcello Lippi could become a contender, if Murray was to consider another manager from abroad.

"Of course Marcello Lippi's not in employment at the moment and he's a world champion,"

Like your thinking Craig.

Malky

IMO they cant take on both jobs at the same time. Not when we (Scotland) are flying in the European Champ qualifiers. This needs a full time man to keep this going.

McCoist should have came in under McLeish a while ago wen he had the chance even if it was just for a temp coaching role and he would have been groomed slightly even though it was from a tactically naive manager :) But he has another chance. Maybe he should come in as joint 1st team manager rather than assistant with the help of an experienced guy (prob Smith part time)

Smith - I think it is right job for him but wrong time. He would love another crack at it but i think he still wants this challenge of finishing above France and Italy. I also think he is enjoying it.

He has to decide 1 way or the other.

He may feel he has talking Scotland on as far as he can. He may also think that the Scottish fans (other than Gers fans) wont like him doing both roles.

He might get away with it part time, but if he comes back to Ibrox Id prefer it as full time manager with McCoist and Gough with him. But as a Scotland fan id be dissapointed as im not sure who would come into replace him there.