If we manage to go the whole league campaign unbeaten, that's pretty impressive in my view - no matter the opposition's quality.

However, defeats by Forfar and Raith take any shine off that and there's really no excuse for such losses in one-off cup games we should be highly motivated to win.

Because of that and a distinct lack of consistency in quality performances, it means our season has been average at best and everyone at the club must do much, much better.

It seems to me he is taking a leaf out of the book from across the city, where everything has to be talked up no matter how it comes across to the fans of the club.

The statements I read from Lennon/Lawwell about how they are so successful and playing great football does not fool any of their regular attendees, however it seems to do the trick in fobbing off external criticism. For celtic to say they have had a successful season when they have won the league they were 1/50 to win, whilst getting an absolute thumping in 5 out of 6 of their CL games, and home defeats in both domestic cups while the quality of play I understand is equally poor and games are generally average at best. I get this from asking friends/colleagues/clients who attend how their team are doing and I generally get a more honest response.

Ally seems to be doing the same here. Picking out the headline soundbites for an external audience, and ignoring the fact that the average attendee to our matches knows it is nonsense. Perhaps he is working his ticket also (like Lennon) to get a move away if he is fed up with playing piggy in the middle in the midst of the most uncertain period of our history.

He also may be on fair warning from the board to talk everything up to help with renewals. Nothing would surprise me anymore.