Alex Salmond - I need to do all I can for Hearts

“The First Minister has had one discussion with HMRC on the issue – a phone call on 11 January. As the First Minister has already made clear in an interview broadcast two weeks ago, the discussion centred on securing a settlement to enable Rangers to meet their obligations to the taxpayer and continue in business.”

Andy has answered this as well. Forgive my skepticism PapaBear but I can imagine the content of that call on the 11th of January, which if was in 2012, was BEFORE we went into Admin so Alec was hardly getting stuck in when it mattered.

AS: "Hullo... HMRC? I'm just checking to make sure that everything is above board in your pursuit of those tax-evading, unionist toerags."

HMRC: "Of course. We've got it all covered. They're bang to rights and owe the taxpayer upwards of a billion quid."

AS: "Oh well that's good to know. Keep up the good work and just lay off looking at Hearts for a bit eh?"

Click.

Anything much from Alec after the 16th of Feb up to the summer of 2012, when the shit was really hitting the fan? Or was he as quiet as my memory serves?

Compare and contrast with the light touch that has been applied to Hearts and their dealings with HMRC.

Andy has answered this as well. Forgive my skepticism PapaBear but I can imagine the content of that call on the 11th of January, which if was in 2012, was BEFORE we went into Admin so Alec was hardly getting stuck in when it mattered.

AS: "Hullo... HMRC? I'm just checking to make sure that everything is above board in your pursuit of those tax-evading, unionist toerags."

HMRC: "Of course. We've got it all covered. They're bang to rights and owe the taxpayer upwards of a billion quid."

AS: "Oh well that's good to know. Keep up the good work and just lay off looking at Hearts for a bit eh?"

Click.

Anything much from Alec after the 16th of Feb up to the summer of 2012, when the shit was really hitting the fan? Or was he as quiet as my memory serves?

Compare and contrast with the light touch that has been applied to Hearts and their dealings with HMRC.

.....and what exactly did Sir David of Cameron do to help us? You know, the guy that actually controls HMRC, and was the current Prime Minister of the UK? You're on very dodgy ground trying to make it political, and agenda driven against us. If anything, it was an English led assault on us.

.....and what exactly did Sir David of Cameron do to help us? You know, the guy that actually controls HMRC, and was the current Prime Minister of the UK? You're on very dodgy ground trying to make it political, and agenda driven against us. If anything, it was an English led assault on us.

Can't agree with you on that one TinMan - I think it was a west of scotland labour party led assault, pure and simple; any English who may have been involved were either just following orders or didn't give a toss, regarding it as a matter for the squabbling Jocks.

Click.

Don't give up the day job, mate; the script writer's union can sleep soundly tonight.

Curious to know however what you would have expected the First Minister of the country to do, apart from making publich and private appeals, nationally and internationally, pushing for HMRC to reach an agreement, so that Rangers could continue.

Curious also to know how Salmond has acted differently in the Hearts case - apart from having a more helpful partner in the Lithuanians than he met in the UK govt.

Meh.

I still distinctly remember the ostracism, and not Papa Bear, nor quotses, no, nor even my SNP membership card will persuade me otherwise.

For goodness' sake, the anger is all I have left to kept me interested! They can't take that away from me.

I'll see your 'anger' and raise you a 'cold fury'. But I shall aim it at the deserving parties, not everybody's favourite political hate figure.

Salmond, to be honest, doesn't give a toss about Rangers personally, but he did, I am sure, do everything he could politically, if for no other reason than trying to avoid headaches- which given the fact that HMRC is answerable to Westminster and not Holyrood - was not very much. Now, if our own Scottish tax authorities were answerable to our own people and politicians, then it may have been a different story. But that's maybe taking a diversion down a different route.