LEWIS MACLEOD - Wheels In Motion

2771892bdf9d89632589038c366f0c14_XL.jpg

LEWIS MACLEOD has been back in training for more than a month now and believes he’s on track to rejoin the first-team squad for the start of pre-season.

The young Rangers midfielder, 19, hasn’t played since January because of an uncommon reaction to a common virus.

There were fears over the youngster’s career and given the great strides he has made at Ibrox since breaking through, seeing it end prematurely would have been a huge setback.

Thankfully Macleod is in good health again and is making progress as he goes through a rehabilitation programme with physio Stevie Walker.

The teenager is currently on a break from that having put five weeks of hard graft in and he’s attending the NARSA convention in Toronto.

Macleod took part in the Davie Cooper Memorial Golf Day yesterday and will meet fans again tonight at the Grand Banquet.

A more relaxed figure than he was in the second half of 2013/14, the Scotland under-21 cap is delighted to be moving in the right direction once more.

Macleod said: “I’ve been doing more of the same stuff I was doing in the first couple of weeks of training with Stevie and it’s going well.

“I’ve been doing lots of running and weights and I’ve just been trying to get myself back to full fitness.

“I’m still a wee bit off yet but come pre-season I’ll be ready to go and I’m looking forward to that.

“I was always hoping to be there or thereabouts by the time the players came back for the start of pre-season.

“With the way it’s going, I should be close to full fitness when they come back and all being well, I’ll be fighting fit and there will be no hiccups now.

“It has been tough sitting on the sidelines sitting watching but now I’m back running, I feel a lot better about myself and it will be good to get back into it.”

Macleod can’t wait for the forthcoming Championship title race as Rangers look for a third successive promotion which would take them back to the top flight.

He has impressive in the previous two seasons but on both occasions he has had his campaign cut short.

In 2012/13 he was sidelined by a knee injury before his health issues in recent months and he’s keen to get a full term under his belt this time around.

Macleod added: “In the last two seasons, I’ve finished them with two pretty rubbish problems and I’m hoping this year is much easier sailing.

“I want to go through the whole campaign without any serious injuries and I’m basically just starting again now. Hopefully I can do that and do it well.

“I would love for this season to be more straightforward and if I can get a full campaign behind me I’ll be really happy.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7025-wheels-in-motion

Only read good things about Macleod but as SBS says, must be played in his best position to develop him.

I saw a bit of Barry McKay at the start of 2012-12 season and was excited by him but all of a sudden he went off the boil and out on loan. Regardless of the reason any young player with first team ability should be developed as best as possible more so than ever at the moment.

Great to hear he us back fighting fit. Most exciting prospect to emerge since Barry Ferguson and reminds me off a young Ian Durrant. If he develops into a player who is even half as good as those two (I hope he can be ad good as them) then we have a player on our hands.