NARSA has donated £5,000 towards the cost of a bust of Rangers legend Sandy Jardine which the club is planning to commission.

Jardine lost his fight with cancer in April at the age of 65 and his loss was felt by Light Blues fans around the world.

Among those mourning him were supporters in North America, who had a terrific affinity with the former right-back.

Jardine, an honorary vice-president of NARSA, was a regular attendee at its annual conventions and visited his last one in the Bahamas two years ago.

When the association heard the club was looking into creating lasting memorial to recognise the ex-Scotland international’s life, its executive was keen to contribute.

Treasurer Bobby Smith suggested an initial donation of £1,000 and a motion was put forward at its annual general meeting yesterday morning in Toronto.

There was unanimous agreement and Hamilton Ibrox Exiles RSC president Graham Tait suggested giving five times that amount.

An amendment was made and the motion was passed, with an announcement made about the touching decision at last night’s Grand Banquet.

Smith explained: “I spoke to Jim Hannah about the idea when I was over in Glasgow in April and we had a conference call about it a week later.

“The committee was 100 per cent behind the suggestion so it went to the floor at our AGM yesterday morning.

“I was hoping someone might make an amendment to my motion to make it a wee bit more and thankfully Graham proposed that.

“NARSA is financially stable and it’s brilliant we’re going to be able to donate to a tribute to someone who meant so much to us.

“Sandy’s a man who deserves that. He was a big supporter of NARSA and he was absolutely magic with us so it’s something we were very keen to do.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7030-narsa-makes-sandy-donation