Hearts Sign Goalkeeper Neil Alexander

Hearts: Goalkeeper Neil Alexander signs player-coach deal

Hearts have agreed a deal to sign former Scotland and Rangers goalkeeper Neil Alexander, when his Crystal Palace contract expires on 1 July.

The 36-year-old will become a player-coach for the Championship outfit.

"As a boyhood Hearts fan, I am delighted to join a club I have supported for many years," Alexander to told the Tynecastle side's website.

"With the coaching side of it as well, this is a fantastic opportunity for me. I'm excited at the challenge ahead."

Hearts, who were relegated from the top flight last term, kick off their Championship campaign against Rangers at Ibrox on 9 August.

"With the fixtures now out, it really gives you an incentive to be involved in the first game," added the former Ipswich Town, Cardiff City and Livingston goalkeeper.

"It's a really exciting start for us and I definitely want to be involved on 9 August.

"This club has fantastic supporters and their backing has been phenomenal. Hopefully we can give them something to cheer about after what has been a very difficult 12 months for everyone at the club."

Hearts head coach Robbie Neilson has also signed up midfielder Morgaro Gomis, striker James Keatings from Hamilton and former Sparta Rotterdam forward Soufian El Hassnaoui, subject to international clearance.

The Tynecastle club have also tied up teenage winger Sam Nicholson on a new three-year contract after his deal expired.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27977321