Craig Halkett comments on Durrant

Ian Durrant took charge of the under 20 squad late last year and Halkett has been impressed by the former Ranger.

As a defender the 19-year old feels he has benefitted from a more footballing approach to their play and is enjoying adapting to it.

He said: “It's been a little bit different since Ian Durrant has been involved; he's brought a bit of a buzz around the place which is good, just changing things a little.

“I'm enjoying it with him and he's brought a bit of a different side to it, it's been more enthusiastic.

“We are trying to change the way that we play just now, so hopefully we'll get a few more results that way - we're starting to play a little bit more from the back now.

“We've had that in our locker before, but we've not really done it, but now we are starting to do it and I'm finding it a little bit easier and more enjoyable - I like to play that way, it's the way forward.

“Being a defender used to be about being physical and winning headers and things like that, but now you have to play too and I'm enjoying it."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/item/8528-halkett-andys-given-us-hope

Tom Walsh

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/item/8529-teething-problems-will-subside

TOM WALSH believes Rangers under 20s new style of play will help them in the long term but admits it will take time to adapt to the new system.

With changes in the youth set-up since the turn of the year and Ian Durrant taking over from Gordon Durie as the Development League a refreshed footballing philosophy has been imposed.

The youngsters have struggled for form since the changes though with convincing wins over Aberdeen and Hearts followed by defeats at the hands of Dunfermline and Hibernian.

The 18-year old explained the impact to Rangers TV: “With a new coach and with Craig Mulholland taking over as head of the youth department we’ve tried to play from the back a bit more and I think early on it was working very well.

“We’re still trying to do that but over the last couple of weeks we just haven’t been ourselves which is quite disappointing but hopefully we’re back to our best on Sunday.

“It’s harder when you go full time because it’s more about winning - when you’re younger you can go and play with no worries.

“At this stage there are points at stake and there is more emphasis on winning so I think sometimes that can be a lost a bit.

“I think with Craig, and with Durrant and Billy Kirkwood they are trying to get us playing well and get us results in a good way.

“I think the new style is something we’re still getting to grips with but I think the Hearts game showed that we can beat anyone because they had a lot of boys who have done well in their first team.

“The frustrating thing is the likes of the Hibs game shows there is an inconsistency. It’s alright doing it one week but if you’re note producing it regularly it makes no difference.”

Craig Mulholland was, to the best of my knowledge, integral in the younger age groups at MP. And anyone watching the way those teams play (I have seen the U10 through U13's) will know that they play "the right way". I pay particular attention to the U10's as my son's travelling team from Bermuda played against them (a couple of months before they signed their pro youth contracts and were still playing boys Club football) and they really are a joy to watch. Overlapping full backs, playing from the back, crisp passing either into feet or behind defenders - making their opponents turn. Excellent team !

When I was home last October they had the U11's playing two games side by side against Dundee Utd - one team beat Utd something like 10-0 and the other team beat them something like 7-0.

If Craig is allowed to work the way he has with the younger age groups I am encouraged by what could be achieved.

The problem seems to be when they, as Tom Walsh says, go pro and results matter more. However, I would suggest they stick with the philosophy rather than be results orientated.

A lot of the young lads are loving playing under durrant.

I see Durrant as being one of those guys best suited to just being a coach. Never manager material but POSSIBLY a good coach, given the right circumstances and the right role. If all he does is change the footballing philosophy of the U20's back to actually playing football then it will be a step in the right direction.

Our u20's have just been beaten by Dunfermline and gubbed by Hibs 4-1. I would be stunned if Durrant does anything worthwhile with them.

Question is this. Are the u 20 results really important or should developing players ready for first team be the main goal?