Craig Halkett comments on Durrant

Question is this. Are the u 20 results really important or should developing players ready for first team be the main goal?

Developing players is obviously the main goal, though the best team will win the league. Losing to Dunfermline and Hibs isn't going to do any good for their development and it is important to instill a winning mentality even at a young age. They're currently 8th in the league which is pathetic and I highly doubt when they were losing 4-1 they were playing a decent passing game.

Durrant had a good reputation before he joined us from Kilmarnock but appears to have been too passive since.

He may still have a role long term but I guess that will come down to any new manager/DoF.

Durrant had a good reputation before he joined us from Kilmarnock but appears to have been too passive since.

He may still have a role long term but I guess that will come down to any new manager/DoF.

I think there has been an excessive amount of criticism of the coaching staff that ignores the external circumstances, but with the current state of the results and squad this season, I would rather we just replaced the whole coaching team.

We need to bring in a new manager and build a coaching team around him and his philosophies - although it has to be balanced; I'd be against another Le Guen scenario where there was no local, knowledge, experience, culture or even reliable communication.

Winning or losing isn't the issue at that level it's about development. Concern over the 'score' has been a blight on Scottish youth football for years, the number of times I've heard of a local youth team return from a tournament somewhere abroad with a trophy only for all their players to sink without trace. We're currently on the same points as Dundee Utd, I wonder if posters on their messageboards are calling for heads because they are mid-table...

If Durrant or any other coach is able to use that league to actually develop future players then I'd happily lose every week at that level, it really doesn't matter.

Winning or losing isn't the issue at that level it's about development. Concern over the 'score' has been a blight on Scottish youth football for years, the number of times I've heard of a local youth team return from a tournament somewhere abroad with a trophy only for all their players to sink without trace. We're currently on the same points as Dundee Utd, I wonder if posters on their messageboards are calling for heads because they are mid-table...

If Durrant or any other coach is able to use that league to actually develop future players then I'd happily lose every week at that level, it really doesn't matter.

Part of the reason why they got rid of actually taking scores at the younger age groups.

Man U, as far as I am aware, still refuse to allow their youth teams to play other clubs until they hit U14 (or close to that age group) because they want all of their youth teams to play a certain way - they get them playing the way they want them to play before sending them out against other teams who may be simply more physical. It instills a style of play on the club's players before being exposed to other styles. It makes intuitive sense to me.

I don't care what the results are, even getting pumped 4-1 by Hibs. Interesting that SBS uses that scoreline as a gauge but conveniently ignores that we beat Hearts the other week, a team which included a number of their first team players who have beaten our first team multiple times already this season. You can make statistics do what you want them to, in order to suit your own argument.

Beating Durrant up over the latest results is hardly fair when he hasn't been in the role very long. Not only Durrant but the whole youth set up probably needs a year to shake off the shambles of Sinclair's calamitous way of operating.

Part of the reason why they got rid of actually taking scores at the younger age groups.

Man U, as far as I am aware, still refuse to allow their youth teams to play other clubs until they hit U14 (or close to that age group) because they want all of their youth teams to play a certain way - they get them playing the way they want them to play before sending them out against other teams who may be simply more physical. It instills a style of play on the club's players before being exposed to other styles. It makes intuitive sense to me.

I don't care what the results are, even getting pumped 4-1 by Hibs. Interesting that SBS uses that scoreline as a gauge but conveniently ignores that we beat Hearts the other week, a team which included a number of their first team players who have beaten our first team multiple times already this season. You can make statistics do what you want them to, in order to suit your own argument.

Beating Durrant up over the latest results is hardly fair when he hasn't been in the role very long. Not only Durrant but the whole youth set up probably needs a year to shake off the shambles of Sinclair's calamitous way of operating.

Try telling the famous Barca and Spanish youth teams that winning is irrelevant. By the way, I don't think anyone has stressed the importance of playing football correctly more than me since I joined here. The way we have played for most of the last 10 years has been appalling.

The facts are our u20's are at the wrong end of the table and we have only played 2 youngsters on a regular basis in the last few years. Considering we have been playing part-time opposition for the most part, that's embarrassing.

PS - regarding Durrant. If he was the next Guardiola,you would think an element might have rubbed off on the two jokers that stood next to him.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Try telling the famous Barca and Spanish youth teams that winning is irrelevant. By the way, I don't think anyone has stressed the importance of playing football correctly more than me since I joined here. The way we have played for most of the last 10 years has been appalling.

The facts are our u20's are at the wrong end of the table and we have only played 2 youngsters on a regular basis in the last few years. Considering we have been playing part-time opposition for the most part, that's embarrassing.

Spot on !!!

If we're using Dundee United as a measure of success then we may as well call it a day now. They might be streets ahead of us in youth development (though you have argued against that previously), but we should be producing players much better than theirs.

If a team of young players perform well then the result will usually follow.