Dave King set to ‘do a Fergus McCann’ at Rangers

I would prefer Ally returning for the last few games than taking on a quick fix manager. We are now at a stage where our whole technical system has to audited. We then have to look at other clubs and see what they are doing with their youth and technical side of their club. This is not about getting a manager that can beat Hibs over 2 games this is about getting someone in who can help organise and change a whole new technical approach. We had the chance to do it and failed when we went down to the 4th division. In my opinion it would now be a total shame to make the same mistake twice and rush in a quick fix manager.

I do agree that Ally was part of the problem that we did not do more for youth development when we went down but I have no idea what he was or was not allowed to do. I think it would lift the players if Ally did come back for a few games and as I said I prefer him to McDowell as he obviously doesn't want the job.

If McColl, Butcher or Jimmy Calderwood want to do it for a few games then fine with me but I would think that they would be offended to be asked for so few games as it could affect their career if it went tits up.

But if you bring Ally back (moot point as it wont happen anyway) then you are delaying the inevitable which would be having to replace him again in the summer. Surely the appropriate course of action is secure your #1 target NOW, give him the remainder of the season to assess what he has at his disposal (he will start crying....) so that he can start the process of rebuilding - to appoint someone in the summer would be the wrong time as he should still be assessing what he HAS vs what he NEEDS. The time to make that assessment would be now, not after McCoist, or McDowall, were to leave at the end of the season.

Any new manager needs time to assess. He wouldn't be afforded that time if he only comes in during the summer. Besides, an appointment now would be fine - we all know it isn't his team and he has been left with dross to work with, so he would be afforded some time.

Edited by craig

I haven't given up hope..... but one of those teams is Hibs. How many times have we beaten, or drawn, with them this season ? :rolleyes:

I am going on the fact of my old BB concerts. We were always rubbish in rehearsal but it always seemed to be all right on the night. That was about 42 years ago right enough.:D

But if you bring Ally back (moot point as it wont happen anyway) then you are delaying the inevitable which would be having to replace him again in the summer. Surely the appropriate course of action is secure your #1 target NOW, give him the remainder of the season to assess what he has at his disposal (he will start crying....) so that he can start the process of rebuilding - to appoint someone in the summer would be the wrong time as he should still be assessing what he HAS vs what he NEEDS. The time to make that assessment would be now, not after McCoist, or McDowall, were to leave at the end of the season.

Any new manager needs time to assess. He wouldn't be afforded that time if he only comes in during the summer. Besides, an appointment now would be fine - we all know it isn't his team and he has been left with dross to work with, so he would be afforded some time.

Has there been a proper job application sent out? Do we know who all would be interested in taking on such a project? Maybe people would apply other than the few ex-Rangers players that are being banded about. Has the whole system been reviewed to see what we actually need? Maybe Van Gaal might think F this I would prefer the Rangers job. I think we need far more time to review what we actually need before making snap decisions. Is the six remaining weeks going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things?

We need a manager that can see the big picture and not just the result on a Saturday etc.

I am all for a full evaluation being done before we go for the ex -Ranger quick-fix.

Has there been a proper job application sent out? Do we know who all would be interested in taking on such a project? Maybe people would apply other than the few ex-Rangers players that are being banded about. Has the whole system been reviewed to see what we actually need? Maybe Van Gaal might think F this I would prefer the Rangers job. I think we need far more time to review what we actually need before making snap decisions. Is the six remaining weeks going to make that much difference in the grand scheme of things?

We need a manager that can see the big picture and not just the result on a Saturday etc.

I am all for a full evaluation being done before we go for the ex -Ranger quick-fix.

Pete, there is no way that the whole system will have been reviewed by anyone who SHOULD review it, namely whoever controls the footballing operation - and that needs the input of experienced people. Sir Alex was mentioned the other week and he would be ideal to speak to about the footballing infrastructure - I know it was decades ago now but he basically rebuilt the whole infrastructure at Man U and has forgotten more than most managers will ever have knowledge of.

The six remaining weeks isn't the big concern. If we leave it open for 6 weeks till the end of the season any incumbent wont have had time to work with what he has, thus not being able to assess what is at his disposal - that said, a complete and total clearout wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Personally I have little time for the ex-Rangers fix, only the BEST fix - although I would certainly be interested in seeing what Numan could offer as he is highly regarded for what he did for the Dutch youths, right ? That said, I personally feel we need someone with extensive expertise in not just managing but developing the appropriate infrastructure - and that could possibly be split into two roles.

One thing for sure is that we are a mess. And short fixes oftentimes don't work as you simply plug one leak to find another one springing up in the near future.

I would prefer Ally returning for the last few games than taking on a quick fix manager. We are now at a stage where our whole technical system has to audited. We then have to look at other clubs and see what they are doing with their youth and technical side of their club. This is not about getting a manager that can beat Hibs over 2 games this is about getting someone in who can help organise and change a whole new technical approach. We had the chance to do it and failed when we went down to the 4th division. In my opinion it would now be a total shame to make the same mistake twice and rush in a quick fix manager.

I do agree that Ally was part of the problem that we did not do more for youth development when we went down but I have no idea what he was or was not allowed to do. I think it would lift the players if Ally did come back for a few games and as I said I prefer him to McDowell as he obviously doesn't want the job.

If McColl, Butcher or Jimmy Calderwood want to do it for a few games then fine with me but I would think that they would be offended to be asked for so few games as it could affect their career if it went tits up.

I can't believe what I'm reading.

I can't believe what I'm reading.

But apparently he is not suggesting Ally actually sits in the dugout. I'm confused. :confused:

It's obvious what Pete was saying, how anyone can interpret what he posted as a call for Ally to return to the dug out is amazing!