Sunderland are a club who need to look at themselves. They have the structure to be a big club but so many managers haven't managed to succeed there so it says more about the club. They should be looking at Swansea and Southampton and thinking if they can do well why cant we.

Allardyce would seem a total fit for that club. West Ham don't look like they will renew his contract (which is crazy after the last 3 years). He is an ex Sunderland player, will want to do well for them after the Newcastle job, he always tries to sign a good level of player so I would see him as next in line.

Good luck to Advocaat but I hope his luck doesn't start until next week after the West Ham game.

If they stay up, Allardyce would be an obvious choice. Think he's unfairly maligned as a football throwback but it's clear he's far too overtly northern for the Hammers who are going to need any and all the metropolitan 'glamour' they can lay their hands on if they're going to sell enough tickets to make the OIympic Stadium work for them. They'll surely be casting around for a tanned, sharp-suited Mediterranean manager next?

As for Sunderland, they've always been an enigma. Passionate support who turn up in big numbers, decent stadium (though with a shite name), good pedigree which you'd think they could turn into a decent 'brand' yet they've nearly always been deeply average at best. Who's actually done well as a manager there?

If they stay up, Allardyce would be an obvious choice. Think he's unfairly maligned as a football throwback but it's clear he's far too overtly northern for the Hammers who are going to need any and all the metropolitan 'glamour' they can lay their hands on if they're going to sell enough tickets to make the OIympic Stadium work for them. They'll surely be casting around for a tanned, sharp-suited Mediterranean manager next?

As for Sunderland, they've always been an enigma. Passionate support who turn up in big numbers, decent stadium (though with a shite name), good pedigree which you'd think they could turn into a decent 'brand' yet they've nearly always been deeply average at best. Who's actually done well as a manager there?

What is unfair about it? His prehistoric brand of football is abhorrent.

As for Advocaat, can't see that being the right job for him at all. The most talented manager we have had in my life time by a mile but likes to play possession based attacking football and won't be able to do that with Sunderland, who have a very poor squad. Also has no premiership experience and regularly falls out with his squad.

Allardyce has been playing cracking football this season with Downing, Sakho and Valencia upfront. Kouyate and Song have been awesome but the problem was as soon as Nolan and Carroll were fit they were thrown right back in the team.

Agree RE the northern comment. But word is David Moyes is lined up for there which IMO is no better than Sam.

Roy Keane did well there taking them from bottom to promotion. Having just read his book he feels there is unfinished business there. He wasn't getting the right funds to compete according to him. But since then ONeill, Bruce, Di Canio and Poyet have all made them look miserable.

I wonder what Advocaat is thinking going there, like whats been said they have got one good player in Defoe. Even Stoke who are horrible to watch are a better product than Sunderland.

I've just had a horrible thought. Poyet's available.

"Who's actually done well as a manager there?" - (Oleg)

Peter Reid did not too badly. Steve Bruce was Steve Bruce ie mediocre. Surprised O'Neil didn't do better. And who but Sunderland would hire di Canio, see the light, bin him (so far, so good) then take on Poyet? Calamity followed by disaster.

I thought the Stadium name was daft until I found out it wasn't a straight copy of Benfica but a reference to a Durham miner's lamp.

The Little General isn't renowned for bringing harmony to the dressing room. Remember after the Albertz and Ammo spat he said he likes to see animosity between his players as it makes them hungry. Good luck wee man.

What is unfair about it? His prehistoric brand of football is abhorrent.

As for Advocaat, can't see that being the right job for him at all. The most talented manager we have had in my life time by a mile but likes to play possession based attacking football and won't be able to do that with Sunderland, who have a very poor squad. Also has no premiership experience and regularly falls out with his squad.

I often agree with you but equally often am left wondering whether you a) don't watch much football as it gets in the way of reading back issues of The Blizzard or b) whether it's just that your admirable concern with improving technique, coaching, etc which means you dismiss anything that looks suspiciously uncontinental as prehistoric and pay attention to the youth teams of the German third tier where some 22 year old coaching whizz has the kids playing blindfolded or some such.

With the exception of his desperation tactics last season, Allardyce has generally tried to play decent football. West Ham have often been great to watch this season. His Bolton side were terrific entertainment. To dismiss a team built around Youri Djorkaeff as prehistoric or long-ball is clearly arsewad. He's been one of the most tech-savie managers in the EPL and has made far more use of stats in coaching, recruitment and strategy than most. But he's an overweight northerner who played for Bolton, Notts County and Sunderland in the days of moustaches and muddy pitches so he must be a footballing grunt.

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg

I often agree with you but equally often am left wondering whether you a) don't watch much football as it gets in the way of reading back issues of The Blizzard or b) whether it's just that your admirable concern with improving technique, coaching, etc which means you dismiss anything that looks suspiciously uncontinental as prehistoric and pay attention to the youth teams of the German third tier where some 22 year old coaching whizz has the kids playing blindfolded or some such.

With the exception of his desperation tactics last season, Allardyce has generally tried to play decent football. West Ham have often been great to watch this season. His Bolton side were terrific entertainment. To dismiss a team built around Youri Djorkaeff as prehistoric or long-ball is clearly arsewad. He's been one of the most tech-savie managers in the EPL and has made far more use of stats in coaching, recruitment and strategy than most. But he's an overweight northerner who played for Bolton, Notts County and Sunderland in the days of moustaches and muddy pitches so he must be a footballing grunt.

I watch a lot of football though admittedly don't go out of my way to watch many West Ham games unless it's against a big club. Though they aren't on TV that much anyway, unless it's against one of these teams. Bolton certainly were entertaining on occasion and did have flair players like Okocha and Djorkaeff but they still played very direct football, with most attacks coming from long, direct passes to their battering ram Kevin Davies. Martin O'Neil's Celtic were often very entertaining, more so than Bolton, I doubt anyone would accuse them of making much attempt to play football though.