Davie Cooper Tribute

David "Davie" Cooper (25 February 1956 – 23 March 1995) was a professional football player.

He played for Clydebank (two spells), Rangers and Motherwell. He also played for the Scotland national team.

He died of a brain haemorrhage on 23 March 1995 whilst he was filming a coaching video.

It was only when someone posted about him in the wee daft facts section a few weeks back I realised the 20th anniversary of his death was coming up.

One of the first players I remember hearing about as a kid. I dont remember the year or anything, but I distinctly remember following my brothers lead in celebrating a goal that he scored...not really knowing what I was celebrating but enjoying it nonetheless.

RIP Davie.

His death rocked Scottish football, but I always think that it must have been absolutely devastating for his family and close friends for him to die so young.

When a family member dies unexpectedly I don't think age comes into it to be honest. I think even if he was 65 his family would have been just as devastated. I know what you mean that he was so young but I doubt his age would have made a difference to family pain. possibly just more unexpected.

FFS, 20 years went by in a flash!

Remember clearly the massive amount of flowers, rangers tops, teddies, etc at the blue gates at Ibrox in the days following his death. Probably the first time I had ever seen a shrine like that in such numbers.

Only really recall the tail end of his career with us, and it was such a shame he spent so many years of his career in such a poor Rangers team. Often wonder how his lack of work rate without the ball would be seen nowadays, as he was known not to be a great trainer or the fittest guy around, but when he was in the mood he was unplayable and an absolute joy to watch. It is well publicised he died while filming a coaching video, and I wonder if he would have pursued a career in management and how well he would have done.

Sadly we were robbed of finding out by his untimely early death. RIP Coop.