Stuart McCall says Kris Boyd still has a role to play for Rangers

Stuart McCall says Kris Boyd still has a role to play for Rangers

Blair Ferguson

Stuart McCall has said Kris Boyd could still be important for Rangers this season.

Stuart McCall has told the Daily Record that Kris Boyd still has a part to play at Rangers despite missing the last two games.

The striker didn’t travel to Easter Road last weekend and wasn’t in the squad again for the 4-1 win against Cowdenbeath, with Boyd taking a back seat as the McCall revolution starts to gather pace.

The 31-year-old has only scored three league goals this season, with the seven cup goals bringing the total to 10, but his current goal tally is a far cry from the 22 in all competitions he scored for Kilmarnock last season.

Boyd, who notched 26 goals in his last spell at the Gers in the 2009-10 campaign, is out-of-contract at the end of the season and his continued absence from this side could fuel speculation of his departure.

Speaking to the Daily Record, McCall, was adamant that Boyd could still be a hero in the latter stages of this campaign, but it now seems as if he is the fourth choice behind Nicky Clark, Kenny Miller and Jon Daly.

“There has not been a problem for Boyd. At Easter Road last week we didn’t want to take him to a hotel overnight if he wasn’t going to be involved,” he said.

“I spoke to him yesterday and he wanted to train today to keep an edge on fitness. Between now and the end of the season anyone can be the hero.

“If I am not starting either Kris or Jon Daly I don’t feel I need both on the bench. Kris played in my first game and Jon came on against Alloa and made an impact so it would be difficult to leave Jon out.”

After recording a first home win in three months and first back-to-back wins since the beginning of January it’s understandable that McCall doesn’t want to tinker with his team, and Boyd hasn’t shown enough to get straight back into the side after his misfiring season.

Momentum continues to build for Rangers who are now level on points with Hibernian with a game in hand, as Alan Stubbs’ outfit lost their first consecutive games since August. Second place is now Rangers’ to lose and Sunday’s game against Hearts provides an opportunity to put the McCall revolution into top gear.

The marked sentence says a lot for me. He got the choice if he wanted to train or not. i doubt we will see Boyd back.

We didn’t want to take him to a hotel overnight if he wasn’t going to be involved,” he said.

WE need to take anyone to a hotel overnight for a lunch time kick off at Easter Road and we've no money?

How about the bus leaves at 10.00am and gets to Easter Road at 11.00am?

I hope they weren't in beside the Irish rugby team at the Balmoral.

Both Boyd and Miller have been a massive disappointment this season.

Looks like Boyd has paid the price for that ridiculous performance against Alloa but Im still surprised to see Miller still getting a game though. Saturday's game against Cowdenbeath was yet another blank.Clarke looks is the only striker we've got who looks like scoring on a regular basis