Fans Tribute To Sandy

From the official site...

RANGERS has today unveiled a bronze bust in tribute to the late Light Blues legend Sandy Jardine.

7826e35bbffbe46a7404172db218610e_XL.jpg

The bronze bust – created by renowned Scottish artist Helen Runciman and paid for by Rangers supporters - will be permanently displayed on the Marble Staircase just below the Hall of Fame Board in the Main Stand at Ibrox, which is fitting as Sandy was the driving force behind its creation and a proud member of that exclusive band of Rangers greats.

A number of Sandy’s former team-mates – including Alex MacDonald, Willie Johnston, Colin Stein and Alex Miller – joined Rangers Director John Gilligan, NARSA’s Bobby Smith and other fans at Ibrox for this special tribute to one of the Club’s greatest ever servants.

Sandy’s wife Shona, other family members and friends are guests of the Club at Sunday’s game against Hearts and Greatest Ever Ranger John Greig will assist Shona in an official ceremony on the Marble Staircase on Sunday morning.

Rangers Interim Chairman Paul Murray commented: “It was a tremendous honour and privilege to know Sandy and he epitomised everything that is good about Rangers Football Club. A man of great integrity, he is sorely missed but will never be forgotten. The Sandy Jardine Stand is a lasting tribute to his memory and the bronze bust created in his honour will be given pride of place on the Marble Staircase.

“The Rangers supporters have been the driving force behind this tribute and everyone at the Club would like to thank all of the fans who helped raise the funds some time ago for its creation.

“NARSA members in particular deserve special recognition but so many supporters around the world have contributed and artist Helen Runciman has created a fantastic tribute to a true legend.”

Director John Gilligan added: “Sandy was a man of great integrity and honour and he will always be missed by the Rangers Family.

“However, anyone who climbs the famous Marble Staircase in the Main Stand will now be reminded of Sandy’s incredible influence on the Club – on and off the park – and I can think of no better tribute to a great Ranger.

“Once again the fans have played a key role at Rangers and I would like to add my thanks for their fundraising efforts which led to the creation of such a terrific tribute to Sandy.”

Artist Helen Runciman commented: “Sandy was a big supporter of my work and arranged to have The Gallant Pioneers and the Tom Vallance paintings displayed at the top of the Marble Staircase.

“In planning the tribute painting for the Barca Bears 40th Anniversary Dinner, it was a dream come true to work closely with Sandy and see first-hand his love for the Club and its traditions. To be asked to create the bronze bust was a great honour for me.

“It was a daunting challenge to take on the task and I only hope that the end result is something that Sandy, his family, friends and Rangers fans around the world would approve of.”

The Light Blues legend sadly lost his battle with cancer on 24 April 2014 but is forever in our thoughts and the Club and supporters have now marked his phenomenal 50-year contribution to Rangers.

A truly world-class fullback, Sandy was twice Player of the Year in Scotland and a key man in the Rangers treble-winning teams of 1976 and 1978. He also featured in two World Cups, winning 38 caps for Scotland and made almost 800 appearances for Rangers scoring 77 goals in the process.

He won three League Championships, five Scottish Cups, five League Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1972 with the Light Blues and is rightly regarded as one of the greatest Rangers players of the post-war era.

His contribution to Rangers since his return in the late 90’s was just as significant as he epitomised the dignity, class, history, standards and traditions that are the hallmarks of this 143-year old institution.

The Club took the decision to rename the Govan Stand in his honour at the start of the season and now the supporters have paid their own tribute with the creation of a bust in his memory.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/8951-fans-tribute-to-sandy?

"paid for by Rangers supporters"

Any idea what group, if any, paid for this? I dont recall any group asking for funds for this, or this ever being mentioned before?

It's been mentioned before on the official site but I don't know the origins of the project. JH was certainly involved though so perhaps an Assembly thing?

"paid for by Rangers supporters"

Any idea what group, if any, paid for this? I dont recall any group asking for funds for this, or this ever being mentioned before?

Had it bookmarked ...

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7030-narsa-makes-sandy-donation

NARSA Makes Sandy Donation

Written by Andrew Dickson

NARSA Makes Sandy Donation

NARSA has donated £5,000 towards the cost of a bust of Rangers legend Sandy Jardine which fans are planning to commission.

Jardine lost his fight with cancer in April at the age of 65 and his loss was felt by Light Blues fans around the world.

Among those mourning him were supporters in North America, who had a terrific affinity with the former right-back.

Jardine, an honorary vice-president of NARSA, was a regular attendee at its annual conventions and visited his last one in the Bahamas two years ago.

When the association heard fans were looking into creating lasting memorial to recognise the ex-Scotland international’s life, its executive was keen to contribute.

Treasurer Bobby Smith suggested an initial donation of £1,000 and a motion was put forward at its annual general meeting yesterday morning in Toronto.

There was unanimous agreement and Hamilton Ibrox Exiles RSC president Graham Tait suggested giving five times that amount.

An amendment was made and the motion was passed, with an announcement made about the touching decision at last night’s Grand Banquet.

Smith explained: “I spoke to Jim Hannah about the idea when I was over in Glasgow in April and we had a conference call about it a week later.

“The committee was 100 per cent behind the suggestion so it went to the floor at our AGM yesterday morning.

“I was hoping someone might make an amendment to my motion to make it a wee bit more and thankfully Graham proposed that.

“NARSA is financially stable and it’s brilliant we’re going to be able to donate to a tribute to someone who meant so much to us.

“Sandy’s a man who deserves that. He was a big supporter of NARSA and he was absolutely magic with us so it’s something we were very keen to do.”

Great work, looks like him I'd say and these things don't always

Yes, that was my thoughts when I first looked at it. It is a great likeness, very impressive work by the artist Helen Runciman :notworthy: