The way some of us speak about our own players has always angered and baffled me, McCulloch is just the most recent example. He's a very good professional and a very good example to young players. He's coming to the end of his career, that's all.

I've read on numerous occasions that 'he only stayed because no one else would give him the money'. Had McCulloch left and joined a League One side in England for example he'd have been on a good salary and with no transfer fee to pay he'd have a received a handsome signing-on fee.

The fact that McCall has continued to pick McCulloch tells us far more about the application and dedication of the other centre-halves at the club than it does about McCulloch.

The fact that McCall has continued to pick McCulloch tells us far more about the application and dedication of the other centre-halves at the club than it does about McCulloch.

John, I think there's a fairly reasonable chance that McCall simply didn't want to risk upsetting the dressing room by dropping the captain at a time when he'd just taken over the manager job and needed to have the backing of the full squad of players.

The way some of us speak about our own players has always angered and baffled me, McCulloch is just the most recent example. He's a very good professional and a very good example to young players. He's coming to the end of his career, that's all.

I've read on numerous occasions that 'he only stayed because no one else would give him the money'. Had McCulloch left and joined a League One side in England for example he'd have been on a good salary and with no transfer fee to pay he'd have a received a handsome signing-on fee.

I don't recall anyone in League 1 showing interest in him. I don't recall any team at all ever being interested in him. He wouldn't have got anything like the same money elsewhere.

Weir got away with having no pace because his positioning and reading of the game were so good.

The same can't be said for Jig which is why his constant selection as some sort of senior defender puzzles me.

I sometimes wonder if it is all of us that are wrong as manager after manager selects him.

I doubt it but you do wonder.

The comparison with Weir was simply about pace - Weir is in a different league compared to Jig as a defender. Weir was exceptional at reading the game, but the team had to compensate for his age and not let him become exposed. I don't think Jig has been given enough support in that respect.

My main point is that Jig has been taking an unequal share of the blame, when it was a team problem.

Saying that, I do think he is too old to play for us now. We could maybe use him if we are in the Championship next year, but he should not be given another contract if we get promoted.

Perhaps because Weir was worth compensating for. We also had much better players then.

I sometimes wonder if it is all of us that are wrong as manager after manager selects him.

I'd certainly like one of the more recent managers to say exactly why he's so important in a defensive sense.

I'd certainly like one of the more recent managers to say exactly why he's so important in a defensive sense.

I would love a private chat with mall on it. Perhaps the others are just no good. Maybe if we had a eight back then McGregor would replace him.

The best youth is on loan and moshni has issues.

Thing is that especially this season we lacked alternatives*, as Zaliukas was injured quite a lot, while McGregor was seen as a better player or cover for Foster as right back. The manager "simply" relied on the "trusted" formation of Mohsni & McCulloch from last season. And he/they obviously distrusted the abilities or mental strength or whatever of Faure or Gasparotto or Halkett. We'll probably never know. What we see now though is that e.g. a three-man defence (even with McCulloch and Mohsni) is capable of keeping the opposition at bay in this league. Whether that makes up for the odd gaffe every game is anyone's guess, and we all agree that McCulloch should not be in the side if Zaliukas and McGregor are fit. And McCall is most likely on the same wavelength too.

As I said before, I can't see McCulloch staying at the club as a player beyond this summer.

*at least in the eyes of the previous two managers

Snatched from FF:

Emerging reports in Tunisian press claim Rangers’ international Tunisian defender Bilel Mohsni is in discussions with Espérance Sportive de Tunis, champions of Championnat de la Ligue Professionnelle, or the ‘Tunisian Premier League’.

Sources suggest the Rangers defender, out of favour, was ‘annoyed’ not to be selected for the crunch match at Ibrox v the champions Hearts, and is now reportedly working his ticket out with negotiations with ES Tunis regarding a switch out of Govan.

Edited by der Berliner

Thing is that especially this season we lacked alternatives*, as Zaliukas was injured quite a lot, while McGregor was seen as a better player or cover for Foster as right back. The manager "simply" relied on the "trusted" formation of Mohsni & McCulloch from last season. And he/they obviously distrusted the abilities or mental strength or whatever of Faure or Gasparotto or Halkett. We'll probably never know. What we see now though is that e.g. a three-man defence (even with McCulloch and Mohsni) is capable of keeping the opposition at bay in this league. Whether that makes up for the odd gaffe every game is anyone's guess, and we all agree that McCulloch should not be in the side if Zaliukas and McGregor are fit. And McCall is most likely on the same wavelength too.

As I said before, I can't see McCulloch staying at the club as a player beyond this summer.

*at least in the eyes of the previous two managers

Snatched from FF:

Yeah just saying that to Frankie. Options are limited.

I was told super sent gasperatto out on loan just to stop people asking him why he wasn't playing him. That's the one that baffles me. He really is a prospect.

John, I think there's a fairly reasonable chance that McCall simply didn't want to risk upsetting the dressing room by dropping the captain at a time when he'd just taken over the manager job and needed to have the backing of the full squad of players.

That's possible certainly. But it's worth remembering that Wallace has had a wretched season until about three weeks ago, none of the other centre-backs have looked good, Foster was getting booed by our support before his injury, Black has been poor in the holding midfield role, Law only started playing a fortnight ago and neither Simonson or Robinson inspired confidence in anyone. McCulloch is not the long term answer to any question however he's only one player in a side that has defended badly as a team, he's not been anymore culpable than most of the others. If the midfield aren't retaining the ball or winning it, if the full backs aren't stopping crosses and if the keepers aren't commanding their box then even the best centre-half is going to get exposed.

An interesting thing happened on Sunday when McCulloch was sent off. McCall chose to take off a midfielder when a lot of people would have expected him to take off Miller or Clark and play one up. McCall realised that our forwards were not allowing the Hearts defence the time to build from the back, in short our defending started the second they took possession. When the side defends as a team even the slowest centre-half looks less exposed.