Rangers 2 - 1 Hearts: Player Ratings and Highlights

As discussed on RM, why did the referee allow play to continue if he considered McCulloch's 'challenge' to be a straight red card?

Should he not have stopped play immediately & sent him off if he considered it to be a straight red?

Looking at those highlights it would appear the referee gets a clear view of the incident and wouldnt have needed any input from the AR or forth official?

Edited by RANGERRAB

Does he need to stop play?

I don't know for sure but I'd have thought so.

By allowing play to continue WHAT IF McCulloch got back and cleared off his own goal-line to prevent hertz scoring? Or Rangers got possession from which McCulloch scored?

That's why when a player is to get sent off I'd always thought play would get stopped immediately unless there was a clear goal-scoring opportunity, which wasnt the case yesterday.

Does he need to stop play?

Obviously not, as we have seen a few times yesterday. It is called "advantage". Rhethorical question by you, I know.

Thing here is, if one wants to stretch it, it was an attack "to the head" and if that happens AND it is considered to be a straight-red-card offence, would you not be inclined to think that he has to stop play immediately? Of course, we won't want to start arguing the quality of the refereeing yesterday in general again, will we? You think you have seen it all since we made our way up from SFL 3, only to be surprised every other week ...

What if they scored and he had stopped play.

Nothing maybe. He would have stopped play to send a player off.As Isaid it wasnt a goal scoring opportunity

I'm not sure how this is interpreted in the rules.